Author Topic: Input Needed  (Read 5421 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Input Needed
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:55:38 AM »
I was talking to my wife tonight and we are in the market for a vehicle for her and my son to drive. I just saw some information on the Cash for Clunkers program and I'm thinking about putting my XJ back to stock as cheaply as possible, trading it in for a whole lot more than its worth and using that money toward a vehicle for my wife. I would then turn around my buy a TJ and sell the parts off my XJ or I can just keep the parts off my XJ and buy a newer XJ to put them on, but I really miss taking the top and doors off like when I had my CJ7s. What do you guys think?
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Input Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:16:39 AM »
I know of a really sweet yellow TJ...Lifted, locked in the rear, rolling on 33's...custom bumpers and a winch even...Just a bit of a drive...LOL

Not sure if you know all the details on that program or not but if you go that route, it's mandatory they send whatever vehicle you are trading in, straight to the junkyard to get scraped....or crushed...Do you really want to see your rig go down that trail???

Now if you're in the market for a new ride...JD just bought a 2009 GMC Acadia...Pretty sweet crossover...

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:53:56 AM »
well you've been talking about wanting another wrangler for a while now,sounds like the perfect excuse!
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
I was talking to my wife tonight and we are in the market for a vehicle for her and my son to drive. I just saw some information on the Cash for Clunkers program and I'm thinking about putting my XJ back to stock as cheaply as possible, trading it in for a whole lot more than its worth and using that money toward a vehicle for my wife. I would then turn around my buy a TJ and sell the parts off my XJ or I can just keep the parts off my XJ and buy a newer XJ to put them on, but I really miss taking the top and doors off like when I had my CJ7s. What do you guys think?

why not buy a tj anyway??  nothing wrong with having 2 rigs.  if you just want a pos to turn in then you can have my geo.  come get it out of my garage lol.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:41:36 PM by PaulW »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »

roger if you do that then doug is going to have to get a tj, and then we'll have to start all over with him in re-training.  but seriously, why not buy a tj anyway??  nothing wrong with having 2 rigs.  if you just want a pos to turn in then you can have my geo.  come get it out of my garage lol.

One of the rules of this program is that the vehicle has to be driveable and has to have been owned, registered and insured for a minimum of one year in order to qualify. They did this because people would go pick up a piece of junk for $300 and then try to trade it in for $4500. My XJ will never be worth more than $1500-$2000 to sell outright so I am looking at this as an excuse to get into something with a lot fewer miles. I like the TJs, but I have found some nice XJs for about half the price of a TJ so I may still go that route. The main thing is that my wife has to find a vehicle that she likes that qualifies for the program.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »

roger if you do that then doug is going to have to get a tj, and then we'll have to start all over with him in re-training.  but seriously, why not buy a tj anyway??  nothing wrong with having 2 rigs.  if you just want a pos to turn in then you can have my geo.  come get it out of my garage lol.

One of the rules of this program is that the vehicle has to be driveable and has to have been owned, registered and insured for a minimum of one year in order to qualify. They did this because people would go pick up a piece of junk for $300 and then try to trade it in for $4500. My XJ will never be worth more than $1500-$2000 to sell outright so I am looking at this as an excuse to get into something with a lot fewer miles. I like the TJs, but I have found some nice XJs for about half the price of a TJ so I may still go that route. The main thing is that my wife has to find a vehicle that she likes that qualifies for the program.

what vehicles would qualify?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:42:15 PM by PaulW »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
I ran across this XJ last night with only 93,000 miles. My bumpers and sliders would attach nicely.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=142661

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
I ran across this XJ last night with only 93,000 miles. My bumpers and sliders would attach nicely.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=142661

looks nice, except for the euro tail lights haha
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
JK :-X
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »

I'd love to, but we are buying an economical car with the trade in money from my XJ. I have to buy something with cash so I don't have to have a 2nd car payment. I'm thinking up to $6k or so for whatever I buy.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »

I'd love to, but we are buying an economical car with the trade in money from my XJ. I have to buy something with cash so I don't have to have a 2nd car payment. I'm thinking up to $6k or so for whatever I buy.

they're are a lot of nice cars available for that price, you just have to know what you want and what you are looking for and they'll show up.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
i'm going to be going to a clayton hard arm upgrade in october,so if you do get a tj & need a lift i'll make you a deal on my current lift

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »
i'm going to be going to a clayton hard arm upgrade in october,so if you do get a tj & need a lift i'll make you a deal on my current lift

let me know when your ready to install it, those can be a little tricky if you haven't done one before, they require some extensive welding.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »

let me know when your ready to install it, those can be a little tricky if you haven't done one before, they require some extensive welding.

i called them & they are going to do the install at their shop in waterford. thx though

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »

i called them & they are going to do the install at their shop in waterford. thx though

clayton has a shop in waterford??  i know of the one in waterbury, but i didn't know they opened a second location