Author Topic: XJ half door project  (Read 7343 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: XJ half door project
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »
Got the door hinges lined up pretty good, and snapped some pics of them on and the rusty spots. Can't find my damn cable to upload the pics though haha.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
put them up and lets see what we have to work with.  BTW love your sig :D

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
And I like your new avatar!

here's pics don't mind my little brother

W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »
don't try to patch those it's too time consuming.  what you should do is where i surrounded, cut some diamond plate to match that lower molding.  and do the rockers with it also.  it's going to cost a little bit for the steel, but it'll look great, and you'll have something different than everyone else.  3/16" diamond plate will be plenty thick.  make sure you get enough to do the whole truck where that lower molding is, and don't forget the other doors too.  you can actually wrap the diamond plate under the rocker and it will be strong enough to take some sliding action  without caving in.  you can't land the entire weight of the vehicle on it, but you can slide the truck across it without too many worries.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
Yeah thats what I was thinking when I asked about diamond plating, but I cant really afford doing the whole rocker panel. I'd probably just do that bottom portion of the doors with black powdercoat diamond plate and then paint the rest of the door black. I have the red trim from the green doors to match the stock trip on the rest of the jeep so maybe I'll toy with that idea also.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:30 PM »
Were can i get 3/16 diamond plate locally? ???
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
Were can i get 3/16 diamond plate locally? ???

you'll want to measure the depth of the molding your replacing and then see if you can get a strip that thick.  measure the entire length of all the doors and the rockers, to make sure you get a long enough section.  the other option is to get a 4x8 sheet and a lot of cut metal blades for a circular saw and cut it yoruself.  but call logan steel in meriden, or yarde metals in southington.  find out how much you need, and i'll see if i can get you a deal, i know a couple of people in the steel industry.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
would it be worth it to get the black diamond plate warrior panels? $200

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior-products/sideplates-rear-corners-cherokee-xj.htm
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
ok so heres the progress of my half door project. Decided just to do the drivers side for now. Its alot of work. So I got the glass and the window track all ripped out. Cut down the inside sheet metal, and started cut and bend the outside over to make an arm rest. I used some light weight wood, not sure what it was, but it seems rigid, to make a frame for some structural integrity, while still keeping the door light weight. Used an old sign for scrap to fill the big gaps and self tapping metal screws. Right now I am in the process of sanding and using bondo to smooth/fill everything. Like I said, it ain't pretty, but for no welder and no fab skills I'm pretty impressed with my progress so far. Long way to go yet, but its very solid and sturdy. Here's the pics thus far.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:19:16 PM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »
Look'in good.  For any areas that might see some stress, like around the latch or hinge area, I would use JB Weld instead of bondo.  It wont crack out. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »
Kirk I filled that area I showed you in the back of my rear fender well with expanding foam, then I used the JB weld I had there. Came out really nice after I sanded and painted it, so I will take that into consideration here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:31:02 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 03:08:59 AM »
would it be worth it to get the black diamond plate warrior panels? $200

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior-products/sideplates-rear-corners-cherokee-xj.htm

i don't know how thick they are, i would go with the strips of 3/16" diamond plate myself.  may be a little more expensive, but you'll be able to slide over em without worrying too much.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 02:41:23 AM »
Great Job!! Makes me want to find some doors for my FJ and do the same thing  ::) ... And with some welding skills, I'd omit the wood and in the end it might look pretty much seamless!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 02:45:04 AM »
Great Job!! Makes me want to find some doors for my FJ and do the same thing  ::) ... And with some welding skills, I'd omit the wood and in the end it might look pretty much seamless!

Yeah its not even close to being done, but you can see how it has taken shape pretty easisly. Lots of bond work to smooth it out needed. Then I'll paint it black and call it a day. Do have to admit I tore up my knuckles pretty good working on it. You should see if anyone else has done it on an FJ. The doors may be alot heavier. Part of the reason you don't see it on ZJs often. Also would you be able to modify your hinges to swap stock doors in and out easily?
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
The doors are looking great. I had a friend of mine that made half doors for his Toyota truck several years ago that looked very similar to what you are building. He used a door knob hole saw to build an insulated drink cup holder in each door and it looks like you have the room to do the same. I'm sure I have a picture of it, but I'd have to dig through my pictures I have on disks. When I switched computers I moved a lot of my older pics to disks.
1994 YJ on 37s