Author Topic: XJ half door project  (Read 7345 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
XJ half door project
« on: July 24, 2009, 05:33:51 AM »
Driving to New Hartford Saturday morning to pick up some free doors for my rig. Yes, free!!! Been searching the forums and finally I'm gonna have my hands on a pair. So if anyone would like to give me a hand with the fab work. I. E., some welding and grinding, well that would be super. Never done any fab work, but want to learn.

This should help me to avoid armpit chaffage on club trail rides, and allow for better visibility. Heres something simmilar to what I would like to do.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912901&highlight=half+doors
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

PaulW

Re: XJ half door project
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »
i have a better way of doing it that involves a LOT less work.  i don't have any pics of how mine came out, but they still were functional and looked pretty decent.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
Yeah I was trying to think of a way to do them without so much fab work, so I'm open to ideas
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:07:13 AM »
Yeah I was trying to think of a way to do them without so much fab work, so I'm open to ideas

i can only explain in person

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 04:57:51 AM »
So I picked up those doors today, and found that they were yes free and most of the doors were in good shape, but the bottoms are pretty rotted out. So Im thinking maybe some black daimond plating is in order to fix this. Still need to modify the hinges, but I managed to gut both completely already. So now I think I will mark some lines on them of were i want to cut, and leave them out in plain site for a few days to stew on the idea.

Paul, I'll bring them with me when I come up,  I'm def going to need a hand esp since they are rotted thru.
W.O.J.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:39 AM »
you and yur darn wannabe wrangler projects... lmao
2010 mazdaspeed3

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
So I picked up those doors today, and found that they were yes free and most of the doors were in good shape, but the bottoms are pretty rotted out. So Im thinking maybe some black daimond plating is in order to fix this. Still need to modify the hinges, but I managed to gut both completely already. So now I think I will mark some lines on them of were i want to cut, and leave them out in plain site for a few days to stew on the idea.

Paul, I'll bring them with me when I come up,  I'm def going to need a hand esp since they are rotted thru.

you'll like the way they come out.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

just have to figure out how to make the top come off haha
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »

sawzall.  i've done that also.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 03:25:20 AM »

Maybe someday, plan on keeping her for a long time and buying something else for a DD.

Got the hinges modified today and taped off some lines were I might want to cut. I'll wait for your help to do the rest. How much would it be roughly for a peice of 1/4 in 2x3 daimond plate? Or whatever size would be closest to that. Its either that or just sheet metal, but something has to be done about the bottoms of the doors, you could almost put your foot all the way through them.
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »

Maybe someday, plan on keeping her for a long time and buying something else for a DD.

Got the hinges modified today and taped off some lines were I might want to cut. I'll wait for your help to do the rest. How much would it be roughly for a peice of 1/4 in 2x3 daimond plate? Or whatever size would be closest to that. Its either that or just sheet metal, but something has to be done about the bottoms of the doors, you could almost put your foot all the way through them.

idea...get another set  :P

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:01 AM »
I think they are salvagable though really. I'll post a pic as soon as I get my camera charged. Maybe even bondo, I don't know. they don't have to be pretty, just for wheeling mostly. Its only about 3 inches up at the most at the very bottom of the outside of the door. Other than that they are fine.
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:38:30 AM »
show me what ya got and we'll see.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
got the passenger side hinges lined up and the door on, the drivers side is going to take some "manuvering" for lack of a more fitting word. But yeah the passenger side lined up nicely.
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »
got the passenger side hinges lined up and the door on, the drivers side is going to take some "manuvering" for lack of a more fitting word. But yeah the passenger side lined up nicely.

there's a lot of movement to those hinges and with the shims, almost indefinate.  it takes a long time to get them aligned.