Author Topic: XJ down  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
XJ down
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
OK, took the battery to Advanced Auto. It is good, but needs a charge. First off, anyone have a trickle charger I can borrow? Other than that, that pretty well firms it up in my mind that I have a bad alternator. SO... Anyone have an alternator that will fit in a 1990 XJ???

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
Re: XJ down
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
OK, so I charged my battery, put it back in, got in to fire it up and.... NOTHING!!! I guess maybe it is the starter, not the alternator after all... But I still have no parts!!!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:26:58 AM »
the way i was always able to tell if it is the starter is to hit it with a hammer pretty hard n most of the time it'll start up.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 01:51:22 AM »
Rob, there is a starter solenoid on Cherokee ignition systems. I haven't had to deal with one before, but if you locate it you can try jumping it to see if it is just the solenoid. I know on my Fords the starter solenoid was on the fender, but I haven't even paid attention in my Cherokee. If that doesn't work I have a starter in the shed that I pulled out of that other Cherokee. I don't know if it's any good or not yet. I was planning on cleaning it up and bringing it up to Autozone to have them test it.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:30:06 AM »
Rob, there is a starter solenoid on Cherokee ignition systems. I haven't had to deal with one before, but if you locate it you can try jumping it to see if it is just the solenoid. I know on my Fords the starter solenoid was on the fender, but I haven't even paid attention in my Cherokee. If that doesn't work I have a starter in the shed that I pulled out of that other Cherokee. I don't know if it's any good or not yet. I was planning on cleaning it up and bringing it up to Autozone to have them test it.

the starter solenoid on most jeeps is built into the starter.  if you have power at the battery wire and power at the signal wire then the starter is n/g.  grab the test light and give it a go.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
OK, I guess I am going to try pulling the starter and having tested. I went out with my meter and got 12 volts to the starter, so my best guess is that it is bad. We will see once I get it out and get it to Autozone or Advanced Auto.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
OK, got the starter to Advanced Auto, hooked it up to the tester, and it sure as ...... is bad. I guess I need to start looking for a starter now...

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:44:34 AM »
OK, got the starter to Advanced Auto, hooked it up to the tester, and it sure as ...... is bad. I guess I need to start looking for a starter now...

they're fairly cheap for reman units.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
$100 for a new one, $60 for a remanufactured plus $30 core charge (not a bug deal since mine is out already). Calvinandhobbs has one that we are going to test and can get it to me cheaper.

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:10:09 AM »
$100 for a new one, $60 for a remanufactured plus $30 core charge (not a bug deal since mine is out already). Calvinandhobbs has one that we are going to test and can get it to me cheaper.

even better

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »
is it trying to turn over and failing or not even trying....do your lights work??
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »
Yeah, got lights, buzzer when I put the key in, but the starter doesn't turn at all. Didn't turn on the tester at Advanced Auto either.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:01:45 AM »
SWEET!!! Got that starter from Roger off the junker he had. Brought it to Autozoneand it tested good. Bolted it in and it fired right up! I am anywhere-mobile again!!!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:45 AM »
Welcome back from the dead!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
SWEET!!! Got that starter from Roger off the junker he had. Brought it to Autozoneand it tested good. Bolted it in and it fired right up! I am anywhere-mobile again!!!

I'm glad it worked out for ya. When I bought that junker the lady told me that the starter was less than a year old before the engine went so you should be good for a while.
1994 YJ on 37s