Author Topic: Mabel Carnage  (Read 2200 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Mabel Carnage
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
About 3/4's of the way up Ma bel, I was climbing a rock ledge and "BAM."  I busted the ear on the rear drive shaft where it connects to the pinion.  I backed up and pulled the rear drive shaft out so I could limp off the trail.  I carry a spare U-joint but not a spare drive shaft. 

We (Scott and his FJ) made our way back to the staging area, but not before 15-20 rigs from NE Jeep came up.  Some of the sickest rigs I have ever seen in action.  I wasn't the only one to break a drive shaft, a Comanche busted his front drive shaft, twice, and didn't even make it up as far as I was when I busted mine.

I am headed to Overland Drive shaft tomorrow after work.  Overland is only about 2 miles from my house and on my way home.  One of the locals (Bob? with a 4cy YJ, but crazy) told me I should get it sleeved on the back half to protect it from the rocks since the yoke has to be cut off and replaced.  Sounds like a good idea, I'll see what Overland says.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Mabel Carnage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:17:30 AM »
which hill?  I'm curious to see what caused the problems.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:24:39 AM »
He broke it on the right side of the trail. The spot with the short but multiple steps along the tree root... His first attempt had him off the right line, he backed up to re-adjust and when he started to come forward again, his right rear tire was up against a rock and he must have had tons of traction because that tire didn't spin when he let the clutch out, it just broke...Pics to come tomorrow I think...If I get around to it, family in town this week...

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:47:50 AM »
I think one of the problems was I have the slightly smaller 1310 U-joint vs. the 1330 in all 94+ models.  Since I need to have the end yoke replace anyway, I can upgrade to the 1330 and just get a stock Explorer pinion flange to match the 1330 U-joint.  I would imagine that the cost of the yoke and U-joint is the same for the 1310 and 1330.  The only additional cost would be the new pinion flange adaptor, and the extra cost would be worth the upgrade in strength. 

Also....  I have been reading how some front XJ drive shafts can be cut down and used when running a SYE.  I figure I can get a shaft fairly cheap, and I have seen a few write ups on how to cut it and weld it back up.  I could then get it balanced for a few bucks, and have a trail spare to get me home.

I keep finding the weak links in my Jeep. ;)
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »
The YJ is ready to wheel again!!! ;D

I took my busted drive shaft to Overland Drive Shafts.  The guy working there asked is I was running a 350 in my Jeep, he was a little shocked when he found out my semi-stock 4.0 could bust a shaft that bad.  He took some measurements, , I told him I wanted to go to the 1330 size U-joint, he looked up a part number in a book, went to the back, and came out with two parts.  I didn't know it, but with a good tug the CV drive shafts will slip apart at the splines. One option was a standard duty part that looked like my busted one, a female splined shaft with the yoke ear portion welded on.  The second option and the one I went with was a solid piece that was machined from one piece of steel, balanced when machined, so no external weights needed.  It was only $71 with tax, so I thought it was a pretty good deal, plus the part was in stock. 

Next stop was Autozone for their Duralast Gold-Lifetime Warranty-very heavy duty 1330 U-joint.  Guys on YJ forums swear buy these U-joints and for $18 and a lifetime warranty I see why. 

After a few try at junk yards I went to Gerard Ford for the Drive shaft to pinion adaptor.  The guy at the parts counter couldn't understand why I didn't know if I needed the part out of a 2 door or 4 door. ???  He gave me a funny look when I told him the axle was under my Jeep and not in an Explorer.  They didn't have the part, and came back with 2 part numbers and he couldn't tell me what was the difference.  Columbia for had the one for a 4 door in stock, so I took the trek up to Columbia.  I took the U-joint in to make sure it was the right one, it was so I headed home.  Installed the new parts and 20 minutes later I took it for a test drive, works like a champ!
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:29:11 AM »
Kirk, that's great that you got everything put back together. My SYE was shipped today and I'm planning on using the front driveshaft out of that XJ I'm picking up to be my rear one to use with the SYE. I figure a good, long weekend of wrenching and we can get the axle switched out, the SYE installed and the front driveshaft in place in the rear.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
Kirk,
 So what you're saying is you now have a driveshaft that doesn't slip as the suspension cycles? Won't that add stress if it needs to lengthen or shorten? Even if it's only a 1/4" that could be bad I would think...I've been wrong before though...  ???

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:06:48 AM »
Kirk,
 So what you're saying is you now have a driveshaft that doesn't slip as the suspension cycles? Won't that add stress if it needs to lengthen or shorten? Even if it's only a 1/4" that could be bad I would think...I've been wrong before though...  ???

The new piece for the drive shaft works just like the old one, just stronger.  Here is a link to the part.   You will see it is cheaper then the one I bought, but the have 0 in stock.

http://www.drive-lines.com/parts1.php?pn=N2-3-8041KX

The upper part of the shaft is the original shaft parts, so the CV joint and male splines are from the same shaft that you saw be bust on Sunday.  I still have the 3-4 inches of slip that I had. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »
Kirk,

The new piece for the drive shaft works just like the old one, just stronger.  Here is a link to the part.   You will see it is cheaper then the one I bought, but the have 0 in stock.

http://www.drive-lines.com/parts1.php?pn=N2-3-8041KX

The upper part of the shaft is the original shaft parts, so the CV joint and male splines are from the same shaft that you saw be bust on Sunday.  I still have the 3-4 inches of slip that I had. 

rusty's sells those in a "long" travel version.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
So come to find out, Kirk wasn't the only one to receive a little damage on this trip. I just started getting a good squeak from the rear on my FJ and come to find out, I bent the rear passenger control arm bracket (front mount). It folded inward just enough to make contact with the control arm as it pivots on the mounting bolt. So I am going to have to take the control arm out of the mount and coax it back straight so it quits squeaking. 

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »
Congrats on finally busting the carnage cherry!!!   ;D

Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
Wow! What did JD say?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
Wow! What did JD say?
And I quote...

"Stop wheeling it! At least until I get another vehicle!"
End quote.

LOL... ;D

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »
carnage is is what makes wheeling interesting.  like when you rip off a control arm mount from the front end of you xj on OFR and finish the trail using a chain to hold your axle to the bumper, then drive it 130 miles home that way.  i've heard of 3, 4, and 5 link suspensions, but i had a chain link suspension!!