Author Topic: WTB stock TJ mirrors  (Read 6773 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: WTB stock TJ mirrors
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »
Took care of the door panel issue today. Got itchy and decided to fabricate something. heres what i did. I call them Bad *SS Diamond Plate door Panels

Tools/Materials needed:

Daimond Soft Anti-Fatigue Mat (Home Depot about $15 a sheet)
Drill
Small drill bit
Sheet metal shears or scissors
Self tapping metal screws
Sharpie Marker
Tape Measurer

With the door off, if you can, lay the door on the ground and go ahead and start measuring, and marking off were you want to cut.

Trim the corners and cut the rectangle out for the door handle, I covered were the window/door controls were cuz mine have been relocated. Make sure to be presise because you will be using this as a template for the other door. This will make the process alot faster for the other door.

Now take your other sheet of Anti-Fatigue Matting and place it back to back (daimonds out) with the template you have already cut for the first door. Go to town with your sharpie and trace it out.

Cut er' out!

Now put the two panels back to back again, so they line up. With a sharpie (I used Blue to contrast the black) mark dots were your screws are going to go. I didn't measure just eye-balled it, but thats your choice.

Place the mats back to back again, on something your not going to drill into, like your moms porch (whoops!). Cement worked well for me. Now use a small drill bit to just make some guide holes for your self tapping screws. This way you avoid the mat twisting all up on you later when you go to secure it.

Lay em' on your doors, and make sure they line up how you want them to.

Get out your self tapping screws, and secure the panels to the doors!

Put your doors back on and drool over how sick your new door panels look...

Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
COOL

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Wow that was quick paul thanks
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »
not bad looking!  take a your magic marker to the screws, and you'll be done!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

PaulW

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »
not bad looking!  take a your magic marker to the screws, and you'll be done!

Could you get black screws??

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:12 AM »
I dont know if they sell them In black, Could just spray paint the ends, but I don't really care cuz the door handle is silver.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »
Best part is they match my black huskyliner floor mats perfectly!!!
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:31 AM »
Sweet not you need a chrome tube steps and chrome bumpers and chrome 

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
why would I want chrome?
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
The door panels look great. There's nothing wrong with my current ones, but I kinda like those better. The only thing I would miss is the small armrest on the door.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »
I saw on "Rides" where a shop made some door arm rests/ door pulls out of some exhaust tube.  The did it in a tricked out H2, but it looked good. 

Nice Idea Duece.  Looks nice, plus you can just spray them off if they get dirty.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »
The door panels look great. There's nothing wrong with my current ones, but I kinda like those better. The only thing I would miss is the small armrest on the door.

I left the little things that the arm rest bolt to underneath, so as soon as I get some I'll just spray em black and bolt them up. Curious if your 2 door parts bin arm rests would line up? Let me know, just see if the bolts in yours and the 2 door are the same distance apart if you get a chance. I'd give yah a few $ for em. the GF can't figure out how to shut the door without them, its pathetic. haha. I wouldn't mind if anyone copied, I'm just really happy with the end result. I went into Home cheapo looking for sheet metal and walked out with that. haha. And yeah I didn't even think of it but it would be very easy to spray them off. Not to mention the matting seems to make a great soundproofer. Now I just need to upgrade to 97+ weatherstripping for the doors. The wind noise is horrible.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:22:02 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 03:50:40 AM »

I left the little things that the arm rest bolt to underneath, so as soon as I get some I'll just spray em black and bolt them up. Curious if your 2 door parts bin arm rests would line up? Let me know, just see if the bolts in yours and the 2 door are the same distance apart if you get a chance. I'd give yah a few $ for em. the GF can't figure out how to shut the door without them, its pathetic. haha. I wouldn't mind if anyone copied, I'm just really happy with the end result. I went into Home cheapo looking for sheet metal and walked out with that. haha. And yeah I didn't even think of it but it would be very easy to spray them off. Not to mention the matting seems to make a great soundproofer. Now I just need to upgrade to 97+ weatherstripping for the doors. The wind noise is horrible.

I like em it's redneck injenuity at it's finest.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »

I like to call it Deucenuity... :P
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master