Author Topic: WTB stock TJ mirrors  (Read 6775 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
WTB stock TJ mirrors
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:58 AM »
Looking to take my doors off my XJ so I need mirrors. Seen this an got excited:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:19:17 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: WTB stock TJ mirrors
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:28:47 AM »
YJ mirrors look the same.  I might have some, but I'll have to look.  I also have a modified motorcycle mirror that is designed to slide into the hinge hole so you don't have to do any drilling.  I'll take a look when I'm in the garage, and let you know what I have.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

Do you have sliders or some other type of unibody frame stiffener under your XJ? I didn't see any in the pictures you posted. I don't think taking the doors off will be a problem for road driving, but the unibody frame will twist when wheeling and you may not be able to get your doors back on. They are part of the structural support for a XJ. I've seen it happen once to a guy at the Mounds Offroad Park several years ago. He wheeled all day without doors and when he went back to the parking lot he couldn't get the passenger side front door to line up and was also having problems with the back hatch not staying closed.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »

Do you have sliders or some other type of unibody frame stiffener under your XJ? I didn't see any in the pictures you posted. I don't think taking the doors off will be a problem for road driving, but the unibody frame will twist when wheeling and you may not be able to get your doors back on. They are part of the structural support for a XJ. I've seen it happen once to a guy at the Mounds Offroad Park several years ago. He wheeled all day without doors and when he went back to the parking lot he couldn't get the passenger side front door to line up and was also having problems with the back hatch not staying closed.

I had the same problem with my 89.  Took the doors off and couldnt get them to line back up afterwards.  so i bought a set of junkyard doors, gutted them and took the sawzall to em and cut em in half.  worked pretty good.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »
Yeah, i have read contradicting information about this topic. I'm only taking them off for driving for that reason. I have also heard of people bending their unibody with the doors left on, so who knows. But I'll take your advice into consideration, and for now i'll only offroad with the doors on untill I get either sliders or some kind of roll cage rigged up. th nks for lookin out!

As far as the YJ mirrors, that would be sweet if you find a pair hangin out somewere
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:30:06 AM »
fyi quadratech has some xj tube door thingies...

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:42:27 AM »
I don't have any complete YJ mirrors.  I have one with out the mounting bracket, one with a modified mounting bracket (cut down to fit on the windshield hing of a YJ), a stock CJ style mirror and a modified motorcyle mirror.  The rasiest to install would be the motorcyle mirror, it would bolt into the hing and could be taken back off when the doors go back on.  Let me know and I can bring them with me, and you can see if any would would work for you.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:42:22 AM »
Well the doors are off, post pics later. Anyways yeah Kirk if you want to bring those cycle mirrors to the meeting for me, i might be willing to take those off your hands. I kinda rigged up some mirror brackets out of clevis/cotter pins and some steel "L" brackets, but havent found anything as far as a mirror to bolt to them. So anything you got would be helpful. right now I'm having to resort to short rides with no doors, in fear of getting pulled over for not having mirrors. Loving the looks I get from people though!!! Some guy asked me "lose your doors?" haha
W.O.J.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
i have the stock TJ mirrors if you want them... i also have those stock TJ fog lights you were askin about... if you want them all... give me a call with a number. 8)
2010 mazdaspeed3

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »
i never had any issues with mirrors, but i have been pulled over for not having my doors on the jeep.  started yelling at the cop about 5 wranglers that drove by with no doors on and he said "they'res are made to come off" i told him so are mine asshole, and he got really pissed.  turns out that you have to have a 3" door sill before you can remove doors legally in ct. 

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
3 inch door sill eh? who wants to help me fabricate that lol
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
I'm looking up this 3'' law, do you happen to know which statute states that?
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
I'm looking up this 3'' law, do you happen to know which statute states that?

I asked an off duty dmv cop.  ya know the guys who pull over the big rigs.  but i dont know the exact statue.  im sure with some time on the intranet you should be able to find it, if not then use the argument that i did.  mr officer you pulled me over for having no doors.  are you going to pull over the 4 wranglers that just passed up too??  no you say??  why not??  oh they're doors are made to come off you say??  so are mine look right there they have bolts on them.  if they weren't made to come off then why did they put bolts on them from the factory?? oh the wranglers dont have bolts you say??  sure they do they come from the factory with a nut holding the hinge in. i yelled at him for profiling because i was white and he was a blcak cop.  plaid the race card against rednecks.  didn't work after that i got a ticket and had to have the jeep inspected.  needless to say i had my tube doors on before going through inspection.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:34 PM »
Well after that last post I realized that my XJ does have a 3'' lip so that shouldn't be an issue. Tsunami (Adam) sold me some stock TJ mirrors along with some driving lights this morning, so that takes care of the mirror issue. Other than that I guess I'll just have to take a risk untill I get some tube doors. ;)
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 01:51:57 AM »
Well after that last post I realized that my XJ does have a 3'' lip so that shouldn't be an issue. Tsunami (Adam) sold me some stock TJ mirrors along with some driving lights this morning, so that takes care of the mirror issue. Other than that I guess I'll just have to take a risk untill I get some tube doors. ;)

if you get stopped it just means you have to go through inspection.  put the doors back on go through inspection and then go to court.