Author Topic: xj lower control arm  (Read 11885 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
xj lower control arm
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
ok after i bought my xj i noticed that where the lower control arm connects to the axle that the bracket is bent like a pretzel on the passenger side, i was also told that somebody in the club just replaced the bracket. i was wondering where u bought the part from and how strong of a welder i need to use to make it safe for the trail.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: xj lower control arm
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »
Rich, this question is for you. I told him that I thought you got your lower control arm mounts from Rustys, but was not sure.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »
ya you can get them from rustys.  and a 130 amp mig should be enough.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:02 AM »
ok, i'll have to put an order in for 1 on the next paycheck since they're $60.  can anybody help me out with this, your not allowed to use a welder or anything like that at the auto shop on base so im kinda screwed at the moment.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM »
Here is a link to when Rich fixed his.  The "hardest" part is pulling the front axle out to get a good weld.

http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=1128.0

1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:54:19 AM »
.... holy crap, i have no idea where or how im gonna be able to take the front axle off at.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »
.... holy crap, i have no idea where or how im gonna be able to take the front axle off at.

you can burn it in the truck if you really try.  i've done it before.  if you can wait a few weeks till i get settled in my house then i'll be more then happy to get them in for ya.  just pay for wire/gas and beer and we'll be all set.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »

you can burn it in the truck if you really try.  i've done it before.  if you can wait a few weeks till i get settled in my house then i'll be more then happy to get them in for ya.  just pay for wire/gas and beer and we'll be all set.

ha, well considering that im only 19 i can't buy the beer but yeah i gotta put in an order for the one. i might as well replace the 2nd one while im at it shouldn't i?
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »

ha, well considering that im only 19 i can't buy the beer but yeah i gotta put in an order for the one. i might as well replace the 2nd one while im at it shouldn't i?

they come as a set, both should be done at the same time.  the only problem i found with the high strength replacements is now the axle tube has a tendency to bend since the control arm mounts no longer rip off.  and believe me it's pretty easy to rip em off, i severed one a few years back on old florida road and had to tie my axle to the bumper with a chain to drive it out of the woods.  i ended up driving it all the way home like that.  and since your still young i guess we can get ya a cup of milk instead .  but seriously if you want to come by after i'm settled in then it's no problem.  i'll have the lift and welder and everything set up within 2 weeks of my closing.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:10:25 AM »
awesome sounds like a plan... chocolate milk plz. LOL!  just leemme know when your all settled in.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
awesome sounds like a plan... chocolate milk plz. LOL!  just leemme know when your all settled in.

we're supposed to be closing on the 1st.  so next weekend is painting/moving into the house.  2nd week/weekend is moving all the crap out of the garage into the house.  and hopefully as soon as the garage is empty i can get all of my tools and equipment from storage and go from there.  i may not have the lift in for a few more weeks, but i'll definatly have the tall jack stands ready :P

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »
hey man whats been going on? u still gonna be able to help me out with the lower control arm bracket in a week or 2?
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
hey man whats been going on? u still gonna be able to help me out with the lower control arm bracket in a week or 2?

No problem, let me know when your ready with the parts.  I'm not sure if we're going to be in the hosue as soon as I wished because the mortgage company is jerkin me gerkin.  But I have a garage in Cromwell we can use, or my buddy has a shop in bristol he'll let me use so we have access to the lift.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 03:46:40 AM »
ok, paycheck comes friday. so i'll place an order on rusty's friday night. now i have to read up on those but i think/hope they come in a pair. finally got those stabilizer bushings replaced so im geeked that the xj doesn't wanna roll in turns anymore.
1982 CJ7-stock

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
ok, paycheck comes friday. so i'll place an order on rusty's friday night. now i have to read up on those but i think/hope they come in a pair. finally got those stabilizer bushings replaced so im geeked that the xj doesn't wanna roll in turns anymore.

Ya it's a pair.