Author Topic: update 1-31 -Axle Swap Progress with pics  (Read 8388 times)

PaulW

Re: update 1-31 -Axle Swap Progress with pics
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »
My Dad used a mechanical valve on hos old van and it worked pretty good.  I am satisfied with the holding of the parking break as it is, but if I want to make it better I'll keep that in mind.  I also thought that someday I may plumb is a line lock and I could use that also.

my neighbor has one on his forklift thats where i got the idea from.

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 01:08:57 AM »
I just looked at the pics and I may be mistaken but the one of the 8.8 from the drivers side looked like you had the caliper on the wrong side. If I am seeing it right it appears that the bleeder screw is on the bottom. If that is the case, it is on the wrong side and you will never get your brakes bleed all the way. Just something for you to look at. Other than that, it looks great and you will be happy with that for a rear end.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »
Both the calipers have the bleeder screw at the top.  The reason it looks strange is the way the soft line connects to the caliper.  I used a passenger side soft line for driver side to make it work, plus I ground down the tabs on the back of the caliper so I could mount the lines at any angle I wanted. 

The emergency brake for these axles is like a mini drum brake inside the disc.  I think the reason that it doesn't seem to have as much holding power is the small size of the parking brake shoes. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT