Author Topic: update 1-31 -Axle Swap Progress with pics  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: update 1-20 -Axle Swap Progress with pics
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 04:23:18 AM »
Looks really good, Kirk.  I hear you on the dust issue.  I'm still finding dust in my garage from my swap!
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:03 AM »
that flowmaster is sic!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

PaulW

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
looks good, nice work.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
You're going to like the way it sounds. Do yourself a favor though, when i installed my super 44, i cut the resonator out and straight piped it. (TRUST ME you'll be happy with that if you do it) if you'd like to hear what it sounds like w/o one, give me a call and you can hear mine.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

PaulW

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
You're going to like the way it sounds. Do yourself a favor though, when i installed my super 44, i cut the resonator out and straight piped it. (TRUST ME you'll be happy with that if you do it) if you'd like to hear what it sounds like w/o one, give me a call and you can hear mine.

he's just trying to get you near his tailpipe :D

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »
 :-[
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

PaulW

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »
hahaha

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
Sweet deal kirk. Roger & ed on deck next for the 8.8
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

PaulW

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
think i should put an 8.8 into my xj??  hahaha  welded 8.25 should be good enough right :D

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: update 1-31 -Axle Swap Progress with pics
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »
Sorry no new pics, again I left my camera in the garage. :-[  Today was my first day back on the Jeep in almost two weeks.  I installed the shocks, made up the hard brake lines, bleed the brakes, installed the Supper 44 muffler, modified the exhaust hangers, and modified and installed the tail pipe ( yes Paul I kept the tail pipe).  YJs don't have a resonator, so it is cat-muffler- tialpipe.  It is louder then the Flowmaster 50 series, but not as loud as a Flowmaster 40 series.  I haven't had it out on the road yet, so I can't make my final decision if I really like it or not. 

Tomorrow I am headed out to buy some diff fluid.  I have some friction modifier for the LSD some where around here, I just need to find it.  I also need to pick up the parts to modify the YJ emergency brake, but it looks like I might be driving the Jeep for the first time in over a month.  ;)

Anyone who is interested in this swap, here is a write up for how to modify the stock emergency brake lines to work on the 8.8.  The process should work for any YJ, TJ or XJ that came with drum brakes.

About 2/3 the way down:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

any here is another one but just pics, no write up:
http://tony4aro.myjeeppage.com/photo3.html

1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
Sorry no new pics, again I left my camera in the garage. :-[  Today was my first day back on the Jeep in almost two weeks.  I installed the shocks, made up the hard brake lines, bleed the brakes, installed the Supper 44 muffler, modified the exhaust hangers, and modified and installed the tail pipe ( yes Paul I kept the tail pipe).  YJs don't have a resonator, so it is cat-muffler- tialpipe.  It is louder then the Flowmaster 50 series, but not as loud as a Flowmaster 40 series.  I haven't had it out on the road yet, so I can't make my final decision if I really like it or not. 

Tomorrow I am headed out to buy some diff fluid.  I have some friction modifier for the LSD some where around here, I just need to find it.  I also need to pick up the parts to modify the YJ emergency brake, but it looks like I might be driving the Jeep for the first time in over a month.  ;)

Anyone who is interested in this swap, here is a write up for how to modify the stock emergency brake lines to work on the 8.8.  The process should work for any YJ, TJ or XJ that came with drum brakes.

About 2/3 the way down:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

any here is another one but just pics, no write up:
http://tony4aro.myjeeppage.com/photo3.html

Well seems like you have your hands full.  It's amazimg you had time ti install a tailpipe. lol

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
I finally hooked up the parking brake today.  I used the steel cable locks with the 1/8" thimble and the 3/16" U-bolts/ locks.  I loosened the cable adjuster until I only had about 1/2" of threads left.  I cut the springs on the ends of the cable to remove about 2" of spring.  Getting the thimble and the locks on was a little tough, but not too bad. The hardest part was bending the cable around the thimble part.  I spent a lot of time making adjustments to the cable and even pulled the rotors and adjusted the parking brake pads so that they just clear the inside of the rotor.  It seems to work ok.  I wouldn't use it on a steep hill, but it will work on flat ground when I need to keep the engine running to use my OBA. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:48 PM »
I finally hooked up the parking brake today.  I used the steel cable locks with the 1/8" thimble and the 3/16" U-bolts/ locks.  I loosened the cable adjuster until I only had about 1/2" of threads left.  I cut the springs on the ends of the cable to remove about 2" of spring.  Getting the thimble and the locks on was a little tough, but not too bad. The hardest part was bending the cable around the thimble part.  I spent a lot of time making adjustments to the cable and even pulled the rotors and adjusted the parking brake pads so that they just clear the inside of the rotor.  It seems to work ok.  I wouldn't use it on a steep hill, but it will work on flat ground when I need to keep the engine running to use my OBA. 

how about plumbing in  a mechanical valve on the rear brakes??

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »
ive seen (for older tacomas) a mechanical disk brake on the drive shaft jsut behind the transfer case.  supposed to work great
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2009, 12:20:27 AM »
My Dad used a mechanical valve on hos old van and it worked pretty good.  I am satisfied with the holding of the parking break as it is, but if I want to make it better I'll keep that in mind.  I also thought that someday I may plumb is a line lock and I could use that also.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT