Author Topic: Dead gauges & radio  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Dead gauges & radio
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:26 AM »
I was removing the wires for the hard top tonight and bzzzzt the radio died. No bigie, just a fuse, right? when I got done and started the Jeep to move it, none of my gauges worked. The lights in the cluster work, 4x4, and e-brake light work, but nothing in the gauge cluster work. Looking at the wiring diagram it makes sense that I blew the cluster, but that doesn't explain the radio not working. I disconnected the battery for about 15 min and the gauges still don't work. I can't see where they would be related. Any Ideas?

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Dead gauges & radio
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:10 AM »
is your radio aftermarket?  did the person who wired it pull power from your gages (not normal)?  seems odd that wiring in your top would be the same ckt as your gages.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
Jeremy has a good point about the aftermarket radio being wired incorrectly if the previous owner had put it in. When I replaced the radio in my XJ I couldn't believe the mess behind the radio. It was no wonder the power was going in an out on it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »
No the radio is good. Not a twist and tape job, used the real harness adapter.

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
check the fuse box under the hood. I think there is a gauge cluster fuse under there. Maybe ???
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »
Done, ALL fuses are good. Looking at the Hanes wiring diagram, there might be a fuse in the cluster itself. Other than that I'll have to find one somewhere else. The only problem with that is I don't know where the odometer reading comes from. The computer or the circuit board on the gauge cluster.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
is it digital display (the OD) or analog?  if digital, it probably has a memory feature either in the board or computer (probably board) and is driven by the VSS via the ECU, if anolog, probably driven off a motor which gets its signal from the VSS throug the ECU
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »
Alright, I found it. A burnt wire coming from the power box under the hood. When you use a meter to test a fuse, test the voltage coming off of both sides of the fuse at the same time.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »
congrats!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:14 AM »
Yeah...  Uh..  All I got out of this whole thread was:

Have a wiring problem?

Call Doball or Rocket.   ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 04:38:39 AM »
Yeah...  Uh..  All I got out of this whole thread was:

Have a wiring problem?

Call Doball or Rocket.   ;D

True dat!  I can wire up anything! (esp. after completly re-wireing my el camino)

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »
Me and wiring, are like the fat kid and the running track. We can both get it done it just takes a while.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 11:17:28 AM »
Me and wiring, are like the fat kid and the running track. We can both get it done it just takes a while.

;D So you been to the track lately? ;D
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville