Author Topic: Fender Flares law  (Read 1698 times)

stsubs

Fender Flares law
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:25:42 PM »
 I was on base and I got a Armed Forces Traffic Ticket for my Fender Flares not covering my wheel all the way.  But on the DMV web site this is all I can pull up I can not find anything that states that the wheel has to be covered all the way.  Sec. 14-104. Fenders and other wheel protectors. (a) No person shall operate on any public highway any motor vehicle with a passenger or commercial registration which is not equipped with fenders on all wheels which come into contact with the highway unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) No person shall operate or cause to be operated any bus, truck, truck-tractor, full trailer or semitrailer of registered gross weight exceeding three tons on any public highway unless the same is equipped with suitable metal protectors or substantial flexible flaps behind the rearmost wheels, and, in case the rear wheels are not covered at the top and rear by fender, body or other parts of the vehicle, the rear wheels shall be covered at the top and rear by protective means of such standard type or design and so installed as to reduce, as far as practicable, such wheels from throwing dirt, water or other materials on the windshields of following vehicles, except in cases in which the motor vehicle is so designed and constructed that the above requirements are accomplished by reason of the fender or body construction or other means of enclosure.  Any one else have a problum with this.

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Fender Flares law
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:43:59 PM »
I can tell you for a fact, that there is nothing in the Navy traffic saftey instruction that addresses wheels sticking out. When you go to the base traffic court, reference OPNAVINST 5100.12H CH-1 from 28 June 2008 and politely explain that it doesn't cover wheel exposure. Than make sure you are IAW the CT law and reference that (good idea to have the law identification # if you do). Then Judge Judy will have to throw it out.

I would also contact Groton PD and ask them for further guidance since what you posted is so vague.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:45:56 PM by Doball »

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:49:08 PM »
ok, i had trouble with one of the civvy cops on base for the longest time, it was officer Hill. he followed me all the way from the front gate to my parking spot many times, finally one day he gave me this Conn. law for fender flares photocopy and said he couldnt give me a ticket for it.

he is an old white dude with a crew cut and glasses, was this the guy?

if you want to know the exact rule go to Navy legal and ask.  the cop should have put the rule that you broke down on the ticket...

hey Axle, who is the guy that you know?...
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
I have long heard that in CT you are required to have you tires completely covered by your fenders or flares.
I don't have a specific law to reference, but I know that people in other clubs have gotten tickets from CT state or local LE for a violation.  Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that what they got a ticket for was illegal, but that's another subject.

I think the key here is probably the phrase "adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle." ... which seems to leave a LOT of room for interpretation.  What is adequate?  What is effective?  I'm willing to be that anybody who has had their windshield broken by a flying stone thinks that anything short of complete coverage is not "adequate" ... :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

stsubs

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »
Thanke you and yes it was Hill but I will see if I can pull anything else up.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:13 AM »
I've had a problem w/ that guy trying to enforce laws that don't exist: when the gas lanes are full (full of left hand fill up cars, that is), i pull in, do a 2 points of a 3-point turn-around and back into pump spot.  I dont' enter the wrong way, nor drive against the "one way" BS.  he said something about the "intent of the rules."  he didnt' ticket me, and a friend of mine who is a MP/dog handler said there is nothing illeagle about what i did.  this guy just thinks he is better than military people, i think.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:12:18 AM »
I've had a problem w/ that guy trying to enforce laws that don't exist: when the gas lanes are full (full of left hand fill up cars, that is), i pull in, do a 2 points of a 3-point turn-around and back into pump spot.  I dont' enter the wrong way, nor drive against the "one way" BS.  he said something about the "intent of the rules."

the lady in her 40's with the long dark hair that works there gave me crap for that, she wanted me to wait to pull in normal >:(
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »
Well, I have been told (again, I have no written reference) that the CT law on flares is no more than 1" of tire exposure. This was a local (Groton) cop when I was test driving a TJ a few years back. I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:50:03 AM »
heh

a friend of my neighbor's second cousin knows a guy who's brother-in-law's uncle is a cop, and he said....

just joking

it's funny that everybody knows somebody whose either been warned or ticketed, yet nobody can find the law.

I've been told (by people who were LE) that "the law" is that the tires should not be exposed AT ALL, however, most cops won't ticket unless it's more than an inch...

But again, nobody ever gives reference to a specific law.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »
When I had my Dodge Ram I had to have it inspected at the DMV and they stated that the tires cannot stick out more then an inch from the fender well and the fender could not be more then 2 inches greater then a stock fender.  Hence the reason I failed that inspection in the dodge. 
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »
and the fender could not be more then 2 inches greater then a stock fender.

well that's a new one.  I've never heard anything about that before