Author Topic: headers  (Read 1757 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
headers
« on: July 07, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »
I'm posting this bc I have a cracked header and I would like to know your opinions on aftermarket headers.   Is the money worth a Banks header?  Are there any other headers out there that I should keep my eye out for?

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: headers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
what about JB weld and a header wrap?  or some muffler tape?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »
the factory exhaust manifold has a big problem with failing and cracking, the best thing to do is replace it with a aftermarket part.  look at what 4WD has to offer then we all benefit.  should placing an order soon if you want to piggyback and save on shipping  8)
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
Sound good!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »
I've bought mine from ebay in the past.  fwiw
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of most everything banks makes,

but have to admit that there are a lot of less spendy parts that are very close in quality

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
So after spending 7-8 hours removing the head last night I was looking at my header and noticed the usual cracks at the welds.  The header is in really good shape other than the cracks.  So my question to you guys is "is there anyone out there that would like to earn a couple extra bucks rewelding my header?  Please!"

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:19:52 AM »
steve,

i would honestly suggest looking at summit racing. my only concern with re welding, is the possibility they they are warped or the metal is too weak to hold a good weld. i am sure they are orig.

mine are cast so there is no welding on mine if the crack...

good luck.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »
the stock jeep "header" (actual tube manifold is more proper) is known to crack in the "crotch" where the various tubes join up.  most commonly at the final and largest join.  most of the aftermarket manifolds use expansion/flex tubes before these joins to help avoid this problem, but it's extremely common to weld the stock ones.

my biggest argument against welding, is that if you can weld it in-place fine ... if you have to remove it to weld it, well then you're already doing all the pain-in-the-ass work, and you've gotta remove the intake manifold, and the shared gasket and everything, so at that point, why not spend $100 to replace it with an aftermarket.

just my 2 cents.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
WHOOPIE!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm back on the road!  So my head was warped 22 thousandths and I had LL Machine shop mill it.  While in there I put on new water pump, thermostat, hoses.  I did have the header welded up by Karns(I really needed to save the $$$$)  After many many hours of wrenching, loss of blood sweat and tears, snapped bolts and countless trips to AZ and NAPA(which by the way I will never go to AZ for anything other than oil and coolant now), the beast fired right up yesterday.  And might I point out that I had no extra peices left over, that might be a first for me.  This is the first time I have ever done any type of engine work, it really wasnt all that bad.  Thanks Rich for answering my calls late at night.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »
Hey man no prob.  Sorry I couldnt get out there and help.  Im glad to hear that everything went well.  Welcome to the list of guys that can do their own head gasket.  That saves alot of money.  When I did mine i figured I saved about $3000. 

How did that gasket remover do ya?
Did you end up doing the complete upper engine rebuild or just the head gasket?
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »
The gasket remover worked ok but I found that just a new blade and firm steady hand was enough.  I didnt do the upper rebuild.  I had thought about it and whe I took it to LL, Dave looked at the valves and was surprised of how good they looked.  He's the pro so I listened to him.  I figured I have about $550 into the job.  I'd love to know how much I saved.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
just look at how much time it took and multiply it by $95.00

X .08% fees

X .06% tax.

plus a $120.00 lift fee.

plus a 75.00 hazmat disposal fee, for fluids.

you saved a lot.