Author Topic: broken brake line.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
broken brake line.
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
Can you guys give any tips on replacing a broken front drivers side brake line?  I plan on calling around for a stock line but I'm sure it just doesnt go in like butter.  I looked in the factory service manual and to my surprise there was nothing.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: broken brake line.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
It is much cheaper to by the length of tubing you need and the ends.  you can borrow the flare tool for AZ.  WE redid most of my brakes when we built my YJ  :o  pretty easy actually.  depending on how much line you'd need, I might have enough for you, but no ends.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
So I just called a dealer and its 240 for just that section. 
Reg,  If i were to buy a straight peice from AZ how exact does it have to be in length to the stock (do I have to put all the bends that are in it coming out from the portioning valve)?

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
So I just called a dealer and its 240 for just that section. 
Reg,  If i were to buy a straight peice from AZ how exact does it have to be in length to the stock (do I have to put all the bends that are in it coming out from the portioning valve)?

what you'd buy is the flexiable tubing.  it comes coiled up and you can bend it twice before it is too stiff and will kink.  take a piece of string, lay it along the old line, measure the string add 10 inches, then go buy that much.  iff you have more than one or two lines, it might be cheaper just to buy a 20' roll.  the ends are like .25 a piece or somthing real cheap, just get the right ones.  the DOUBLE FLARE flaring tool is the one you'll need.  best bet is to:
1. measure what you need
2. cut off the end of the broken line with the connection still on it ( this way you know what size of connection and tubing you'll need.
3. tell me where your jeep is so we can get it on the road again  ;D It shouldn't take long.

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the old lines apart without damaging the porportioning valves (one fwd of the master cylinder, 2nd one on rear axle)

If it is just the flexable line that goes to the wheel cylinder, you'll have to buy them.  I have a few lying around from the yj I think.  I'll look, they might fit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:09:40 PM by reg »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
I didn't get to see what part of the line broke yesterday, Stephen.  Could you post a pic of the break?  That would help determine exactly what you need.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
one thing to keep in mind is that brake lines have a tendancy to snowball.  fixing one leak usally brings out another.  it's a fun game of hid and seek.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
The Jeep is still at the church.  It broke right at the connection at the caliper.  I'm going to head over there at lunch and try to get the old line off.  If all goes well and I can get the parts I'm gonna have to work on it tonight, I parked under a light just for this occasion.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
The Jeep is still at the church.  It broke right at the connection at the caliper.  I'm going to head over there at lunch and try to get the old line off.  If all goes well and I can get the parts I'm gonna have to work on it tonight, I parked under a light just for this occasion.

alright.  give me a call.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »
Reg, I totally appriciate the offer but with volleyball this afternoon and family stuff going later in the evening I just dont know exactly when tonight I will get out there.  I would still like to have your # just incase I have a question.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »
Look along the frame rail and see where your flexible line connects to a solid line fitting. You could get just the replacement line from 4WD.com for fairly cheap: Click me They are an upgrade from your stock ones...

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »
So I'm not too sure what the guy from Falveys was talking about $240?  I removed the broken line and took it down to Valenti, $8.    Of course the right side was quite a bit more but I figured they all come pre bent so I ordered both fronts and the rear. They'll come in tomorrow. 

So on to my next question:  Tips on bleeding brakes?  Can I fill the reservoir and pump the pedal till I see fluid from the line then attach it to the flex hose?

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
So on to my next question:  Tips on bleeding brakes?  Can I fill the reservoir and pump the pedal till I see fluid from the line then attach it to the flex hose?

Take a plastic soda bottle (20 ounce minimum) and clean it and dry it real good. put a hole in the cap that will allow a fairly small clear rubber tube (one that would be tight on the bleeder nipple) to fit through. Add a couple ounces of brake fluid to the bottle, replace the cap and ensure the tube is IN the fluid. Attach the other end of the tube to the "bleeder nipple" on your caliper and have someone push your brake pedal slowly and all the way to the floor. If there is air in your brake line, you should see bubbles being blown into the fluid in the bottle. If after a few pumps, the bubbles cease to appear, the air is out of your line. Tighten the nipple(before removing the tube from the fluid) and you should be good provided there is no more air in the rest of your lines. Generally, you start from the tire farthest away from the Master Cylinder and do each tire getting closer as you go. Hard to think that air would have migrated that far back but I suppose its possible. If you have a crappy pedal feel after doing this, then you most likely have to start at the back and do the whole system. Just FYI: DO NOT add the extra fluid from the bottle back into your master cylinder. That would be bad.

Clear as mud??   ;D

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Bleeding the brakes isn't hard, but it can be time consuming. I snapped the main hardline going to my rear axle on my XJ this past winter when an idiot came flying out of a driveway behind a snowbank. I hit the brakes hard and then I felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor. I got it home and replaced the entire line from the master cylinder with just tubing and flaring some ends I bought. A long time ago I picked up a brake line bleeding kit that sucks the fluid from the wheel rather than pushing from the pedal. They are cheap and I've found that they work pretty good, especially when you're working by yourself. Just make sure you refill the brake fluid between each wheel. You don't want it to run dry and then push or suck more air into the lines.

Roger
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
Thanks all for the much needed info.  I do have one of those miteyvacs that I've used for my motorcycle.  Bleeding brakes on a bike just seems alot simpler but I was reluctant my first time on that too.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
ok so I fixed and bled the broken front left line and just like Reg said "pop" goes the rear line.  OK no biggie bc I ordered the new one.  So heres my question, how do I bleed the rear with the line t'ing off?  Do I just pick one wheel and go with it?