Author Topic: CB Antenna Mounting/SWR Meter  (Read 1717 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
CB Antenna Mounting/SWR Meter
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
I have a 4' Firestik sitting in the back of my XJ. The previous mount I had used the top bolt for the rear taillight, but had a little run in with a tree so I just removed it and haven't had a chance to remount the stik. I need to remount my antenna and I'm thinking about a bracket to mount it to the opposite side of the hood from the radio antenna. Where is a good place around here for picking up brackets and things? Without my tools I don't even have a drill if needed. Can anybody give me a hand before the trip to Mohawk next weekend?

Roger
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: CB Antenna Mounting/SWR Meter
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
I can give you a hand, and you know where i am.  If you want to come early friday, thats ok, too (though last minut stuff takes longer than planned, always!)  don't know about mounts, other than possibly a radio shack.  are there any truck-stop style stores around?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »
Bumper to Bumper would probably have something or know where to get it.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
I'll take a run down to bumper to bumper this afternoon and see what they have. I talked to a guy at J&S Radio sales in Willimantic and he said they have the Wrangler and Cherokee hood type mounts that go between the hood and the front fender in the gap. If bumper to bumper can't help me I'll probably take the drive to Willimantic today. Thanks for the offers to help guys.

Roger
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »
Bumper to Bumper didn't have anything. The guy behind the register even called a few Jeep people he knew to see if they knew where I could find anything. I ended up taking the drive to J&S. It was worth the trip. They have a ton of cb equipment, two-way radios, ham radio stuff and just about anything else you can think of. They outfit several police departments with all of their equipment and had police cruiser lights, fire truck lights and all kinds of stuff on the shelf. I ended up picking up an external speak to go with my cb while I was there since he had several used ones for $5 each. Now I just have to mount it up.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:18:08 AM »
i should have gone w/ you! 
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:05:30 PM »
Well if you need a hand I'm available after work monday through friday. I enjoy the fabrication stuff and my work is clean(ask around and see photos if you need proof) So I can help as well. And I have a fair amount of tools so we could get the job done.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »
Scott sent me a pm within a few minutes of posting this topic with his phone number and said he was available all day today so I'll give him a call in a few minutes. I already have the cable run and the mount partially on. All I need to do is drill 2 holes for the other two screws and make a slight bend to the mount to be able to get the end plugged in.

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
Finished it up at Scott's this morning. I was there for about an hour, but it probably only took 15-20 minutes of actual work time to get the antenna mounted. Thanks Scott. I wish I would have brought more tools and stuff from Michigan with me. I have an SWR meter sitting in my garage that I could use right now for tuning.
1994 YJ on 37s