Author Topic: In dash CB Radio How To  (Read 1577 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
In dash CB Radio How To
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »
Ok so I was bored and wanted to figure out where I could put my CB that was out of the way and this is what I came up with.

First remove your dashboard pannel under your steering wheel and look for the center point  (there's usually some kind of brace plastic there) Measure your CB and mark its center line as well. Match the CB's center line up to the dash pannel's center line and mark the pannel next to where the CB ends with a sharpie (I used silver. made it really easy to see) once you get your marks, use a dremel  and cut out the fins on the back of the pannel to make it flat where the CB will be.

Next, take dremel and cut out a smaller than necessary hole such that the CB wont fit through and there is no chance that you're near any of your edges. (you're going to want them to be straight right?)

Next, take a file and flatten out the top flush with the top support plastic. I used a medium toothed half round for bulk removal but a flat fine file for the fine tuning.

Put the CB up to the hole and make sure that your original marks will still work for the sides and adjust as necessary. (We're slowly making the hole fit so you will be able to get it further and further through the hole as we go to match up the fitment) After you check yourself, file out the sides to your marks keeping 90 degrees as best as you can. Test CB every so often in small increments. It's easier to take away plastic then try to add.. You only get one shot at this without having to get a new one.  Once you get the fitment up right for the top and sides, you should be able to mark the bottom. I used a ruler and measured how tall my CB was and then went from the top down to make a few points. Then I got a straight edge and made my line on the front. (Ensure when you make your line it's on the side that you're going to file off because you would hate to file UP to it and not to the other side of it) File it out and test CB fitup

Take your mounting bracket and mount it on an angle into your vent line. I used 2 self tapping screws. (not supplied) I didnt tighten them all the way. Just enough to hold it but still be able to slide it left and right.  Put the CB in the bracket and tighten the side screws. Your bracket will have some Up and Down play for dash lineup. Tinker with your radio for a minute and line it up with your hole and put your dash back on. Figure out where you want your Mic to be and mount that. I put it on top of the left vent.

The Finished Product

If anybody wants to do this but doesnt want to do it alone or needs help, etc. Call me or PM me and I'll lend whatever help I can. It took me a couple hours to cut the dash to fit while watching a movie. Not very hard to do.  Good luck!
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: In dash CB Radio How To
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:26:13 AM »
Very nice, Gary!
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »
again gary very nice may soon be doing this with the as mentioned before connecting to the speakers. behind the plastic cover ive got a metal plate that you apparently do not have not a big deal just a little more fab time. ive got this project covered but may need your assistance on my hazards not working.

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:43:52 AM »
Very nice! Looks professional!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:02:10 AM »
see "dohhh" post for the hazards quick fix.. we can look into it and see what we find.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:48 PM »
looks awesome!  good job!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »
that is awesome

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:26:17 AM »
thank you.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »
Yesterday was Zach's install.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:04 AM »
just don't drop the mic and get it tangled in your legs!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
As opposed to mounting it on your center console.. and then dropping the mic and getting it tangled in your legs?? I see your point.. Thanks for the warning.  ;D