Author Topic: what to put in the gap??  (Read 1879 times)

robinpugs06

what to put in the gap??
« on: June 18, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »
I am wondering what I can put in the gap between the front of the front end at the bottom of the grill area and the frame of my CJ7...With it lifted there is a gap where you can see the radiator...Just wondering what you guys have used to not only make it look cleaner but to protect that part of the radiator...I also have to come up with something that won't get in the way of the front end sliding forward and tilting forward!

Robin
ok look at the picture below...He says he has a 4" body lift so why isn't there a large gap between the bottom of the grill and the frame like on mine?

Mine...shown below...will have the same front bumper but that doesn't make up too much...I just measured it and it is a 5" gap...(don't mind the piece of wood and the spacer block the front end is yet to be mounted so we have them there to keep it lined up)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: what to put in the gap??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:39:23 AM »
some expanded metal will work well.  it will let in air and block derbis.  i used some for my grill after hitting a deer
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:49:08 AM »
It looks like his has a piece of metal on an angle from the bumper to the bottom of the grill and fabricated some sides. I saw a similar idea on STSUBS jeep. He had a body lift and it put a gap like that so the plastic that covers the sway bar got a prop as well to make it meet up. Maybe?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »
Whatever that mod is on the first rig, that metal is definately at an angle...I don't know if it was purposely done like that to protect the radiator or what...lemme shoot Scott a copy of the pic, since he can't see that one at work.

Will let you know what we come up with ;)
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

robinpugs06

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:52 PM »
Cool thanks...I guess my biggest issue is if I put something there my front end has to be able to clear it when it tilts forward!
Robin

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Robin,
 Can you post a pic with the hood tilted forward. From the side and front. This will show you close you can get to the grill with the filler piece.

robinpugs06

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:18 AM »
I don't have the hood mounted yet but I will as soon as it is!
Robin

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:11:32 AM »
I've still got the plastic TJ piece that says JEEP and covers the sway bar. Not sure how much clearance you would have, but plastic is easy to cut/bend so it might be good for the 'glass hood. Let me know.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »
I also have one.... it's off a YJ which is the same outer width as a CJ7. I can ship it over no problem.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 03:48:34 AM »
well, i would say a long craftsman tool box. or if you are going to have a winch on your bumper, id just have a plate for temp untill i could build something around the winch.