Author Topic: miss on yj  (Read 2921 times)

stsubs

miss on yj
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
My YJ has been missing for some time so I got new plugs and new spark plug wires . stop for a small time and came back need help

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Re: miss on yj
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »
Ok so to elaborate on what he just said, his check engine light came on and he was misfiring on one of his cylinders. The quick fix was to change plugs and wires and that seemed to stop it when we were done. He drove the car for about 10 miles on 2 different trips and the first time it ran fine but the second time it randomly stalled out on him. anybody have any ideas what could be going on? Distributor cap maybe?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
cap is worth a shot, what code did it throw?  oh, and its a good idea to change the cap and rotor when you do wires/plugs
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:23:32 AM »
Now is the check engine light a constant thing. Also like Rocket asked... did you check to see what code it was throwing. Understand that it's an OBD1 ECU so it's not going to be exact. but it will point you in the right direction and can also help us to help you.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

stsubs

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »
I am going to get the code but it c/e light will come on then go out like to night.  Ran fine all day today but at night it came bake >:(.  I do think it is the cap when it gets damp out it starts to miss.  So on a nice sune day runs good 8).  On a bad raineee day like today runs bad :(.  I am going to put a new cap on today $12.99 not bad.  I will let you know if it works + code. 

stsubs

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »
Lol I got a new cap and by the looks of it the old one is most likely the prob.  But now I got a new prob lol The two bolts that hold on the distributors cap broke at the top >:(.  I can not get them out so do I just go and get a new 1 

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »
Not to sound like a dick but.... What two bolts... I don't have a YJ here and don't remember bolts holding the dist cap down...
Can you post pick of what you're talking about.
Thanks
GT
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

stsubs

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »
do not have a cam no pics. fix that prob but I have a nuther prob.  Put new plugs, wires, cap, and distributer.  Still miss and stumbls at idel and if I rev up to 5000 rpm and let off it stalls out.  Going to put new coil on if that dose not work do not know what to do. O am also going to put a new fule filter in two.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 05:03:49 AM »
Maybe it's the fuel pump? 
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

stsubs

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:18 AM »
yes but if I go past 1000 rpm runs fine thats what macks me go  ???

stsubs

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »
  All of you have helped me and I am happey for it. But any last words before I take this thing to a shope (DO NOT WANT TO DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP).  But so fare I have put (plugs wires, cap, roter, distributors, coil, fuel filter, and a ICV.  Now in my best way to tell all of you what it is still doing.  Lopes while  idling or idles erratically,  also engine stumbles or misses throughout driving speed range,  Also when I go to stop 80% of the time it will stall on me.  One more thing if I let it idle for a long time the RPM will go low to the pont were it almost stalls but then it jumps back up to 1500.  I try to pull the code but can't or just can't do it right  and a/zone dose not pull codes on obd1s lol. But for any last help THANKE YOU.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »
There could be a number of things after the basics. It could be a sensor such as the mass air sensor, or Idle control. The lobe could mean one of those went bad. I would look in a haynes or chiltons, under the troubleshooting section and go from there. It's better to do it yourself and maybe have to replace some parts, but save money none the less. Just my .02

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:08 PM »
did you check all the vacuum lines for leaks?  you might have to look hard for one.  do you have an automatic?  some use vacuum to help shift/tell when to shift.  if your jeep fails to down shift upon slowing, the tranny could be bringing the RPMs down as you slow
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
i agree with gastank and rocket.  dont give up yet.  i would def. check all vacuum lines for leaks 
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 12:55:59 AM »
pcv?

another guess would be the cat(exhaust). if it is old or if you have blockage/loose parts, it will choke out the engine.