Author Topic: Cherokee Suspension party!  (Read 3623 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Re: Cherokee Suspension party!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
Hey question.. Anybody got an Idea for a fix on my exhaust? I knocked it on a rock the other day when we had the Cruise Night Run and now it's hanging down..  :-[

Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
your muffler will have to be either welded back to the peice that broke off or replaced.  just ensure you remove your down-stream O2 sensor before welding!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »
I can weld pretty decent however, that won't last long if it gets welded. Buy a new muffler...Just my $.02

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »
I can weld pretty decent however, that won't last long if it gets welded. Buy a new muffler...Just my $.02

now that i think about it, you are right, Scott.  If it was rusted bad enough to get knocked clean off by a rock, its too bad to repair.  spend $25 on a turbo muffler and you will be all set!
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
Suspension insall this weekend is on hold. Somethings come up and I cant be there so Thanks to all who were planning on showing up.. I'll keep you posted for the new date/time. :-[

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
That sucks...  Hope everything is ok.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 03:23:27 AM »
Ok so I got an itch tonight and couldn't look at all the stuff anymore and decided to start putting it in in the driveway. Here's the progress so far.

drivers side front

passenger side front

passenger side upper control arm bolt got snagged.. This is my current hold up.

I'll be working on this till sunday every day after work till it's done. Any help would be appreciated.

PM me for address if you feel like lending a hand.

P.S. for those who didnt know, if you're sitting at the base gas station waiting for your friend to fill up, and you answer your phone, dont roll forward because that's considered "operating a motor vehicle while on a cell phone" and carries a mandatory 30 day base sticker suspension.  :-[

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »
oops!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »
I can help friday. i think. i'm 2nd shift right now & hopefully we'll be done w/shiftwork tonight.if you do anything this weekend to it let me know. i dont have anything planned.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm home for the day and starting work for all who are interested in lending a hand. 631 294 2859

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »
Front is done. Started the rear and successfully sheared the heads off two of the rear shock bolts. (1 on each side)anybody who's good with fixing that kind of thing... HELP!! CnoteTJ is over helping out and other than that, things are coming along nicely.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 03:54:41 AM »
ez-out or heli-coil

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 04:02:38 AM »
So at close of business, We have the entire front done, the leafs and shocks out of the rear and the axle dropped. The shocks however had all 4 mounting bolts sheared off the body.  :-[ I've heard easy out. I figure I'll give that a try tomorrow. If that doesnt work and I have to drill them, do you think I could get a hand welding a plate up, Scott, so that I can tap it and try again if that's the case...? Starting again on Friday, hopefully no later than 11AM. Call If you're interested. So far its CnoteTJ and I and possibly BayouGold Depending on how his shift work went. I'd post Pictures of the progress, but CnoteTJ has my camera in his glovebox. :-\

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
Gary, the shock bolt thing happened to me too.  Here's what to do...

Get some grade 8 bolts and weld them like studs hanging down over the old bolt holes.  Make sure you only tack them on at first.  Do a test fit with the shock to make sure things line up right.  Then do the final burn.  Make sure you place a water soaked towel over your gas tank, and if you can, make sure you have a full tank of gas.  Then, you just put the shock up, add a couple of nuts with lock washers and tighten it up.

I would offer to help, but I'm still fighting with my own shocks.  I hurt my back pretty bad last night and had to stop.  If I can't get them in today, I'll be out for tomorrow. :-\
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »
So at close of business, We have the entire front done, the leafs and shocks out of the rear and the axle dropped. The shocks however had all 4 mounting bolts sheared off the body.  :-[ I've heard easy out. I figure I'll give that a try tomorrow. If that doesnt work and I have to drill them, do you think I could get a hand welding a plate up, Scott, so that I can tap it and try again if that's the case...? Starting again on Friday, hopefully no later than 11AM. Call If you're interested. So far its CnoteTJ and I and possibly BayouGold Depending on how his shift work went. I'd post Pictures of the progress, but CnoteTJ has my camera in his glovebox. :-\

Unfortunately, I'm leaving this morning to go to Mohawk for the weekend so I'll be back Monday sometime. Did you happen to soak everything with PB Blaster or WD-40 a few days before you started? I have never heard of so many bolts breaking on a fairly newer vehicle...

I hurt my back pretty bad last night and had to stop. 

From lifting those tires I bet...