Author Topic: throwing in the flag!  (Read 4554 times)

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: throwing in the flag!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »
Good Luck! For $340 from Advanced, I'd start looking into an entire axle upgrade!!  ;D

I know!!!   >:(  about the cost of an old 44

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »
which, as far as I know, usually still use unit bearings.  :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »
wow, that sucks, rich had to do the same thing on the dodge. wasn't as expensive if i recall correctly.

we can do the swap out at the AZ parking lot. how cool would that be? LOL!!

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
which, as far as I know, usually still use unit bearings.  :)

Depends, my okd CJ had a '77 scout D44's, I replaced the bearings on it.

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »
I am sure you know already but the hub nut is a 36mm.  If you need the socket let me know, I have it.  When we did Capt's, and Cheeks (I think it was cheeks) it made it a lot easier to leave the bolts on the inside of the hub unit (behind the break calipers is) in a little bit and hit the back of them.  You may want to get some new hardware before because we pretty much killed Capt's when doing it but it came out pretty easy after that.  If you need a hand just let me know.  It really isn't that hard to do.  Like Al said, when you go to put it back in anti-sieze the hell out of it and it comes out a lot easier then.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »
rich,

remember we had to use my high lift to break the hub nut? it was a good day

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »
hahahaha hi-lifts are cool :o
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »
R you all forgetting about big bertha. Reg you will be paying around 100 for each. I replaced both of mine. You can get the cheaper ones if you want, they should work. And yes, Al is right antisieze the shit out of them. If you leave the breaks on to break the nut free, you can have someone step on the breaks, come up to shop and borrow Big Bertha. Use her to break it free and you don't send shit flying, break or damage anything and u don't sweat alot.  The whole job I can do in about 20 min per side at the shop if no one stops me or gets in my way. We just did a bearing on Erick's deisel tonight while working on Axle's driveshaft. And yes you will probably need hammer and chisle. We have done them up at the shop as a club too on either a yellow jeep or Ben's rig, I can't remember. We put axle shaft seals on the same rig, it was one of the days where we worked on like four vehicles in one day.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
I am sure you know already but the hub nut is a 36mm.  If you need the socket let me know, I have it.  When we did Capt's, and Cheeks (I think it was cheeks) it made it a lot easier to leave the bolts on the inside of the hub unit (behind the break calipers is) in a little bit and hit the back of them.  You may want to get some new hardware before because we pretty much killed Capt's when doing it but it came out pretty easy after that.  If you need a hand just let me know.  It really isn't that hard to do.  Like Al said, when you go to put it back in anti-sieze the hell out of it and it comes out a lot easier then.

have one   ;)

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »
R you all forgetting about big bertha. Reg you will be paying around 100 for each. I replaced both of mine. You can get the cheaper ones if you want, they should work. And yes, Al is right antisieze the shit out of them. If you leave the breaks on to break the nut free, you can have someone step on the breaks, come up to shop and borrow Big Bertha. Use her to break it free and you don't send shit flying, break or damage anything and u don't sweat alot.  The whole job I can do in about 20 min per side at the shop if no one stops me or gets in my way. We just did a bearing on Erick's deisel tonight while working on Axle's driveshaft. And yes you will probably need hammer and chisle. We have done them up at the shop as a club too on either a yellow jeep or Ben's rig, I can't remember. We put axle shaft seals on the same rig, it was one of the days where we worked on like four vehicles in one day.

what does tomarrow look like??

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »
cruise day.
other than that, nothing for me.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »
i thought today was thurs...   :-[

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:04 PM »
you had duty on thursday. welcomto time machine boat duty.

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:46 AM »
would have been fine, but didn't get the message.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »
would have been fine, but didn't get the message.

i wound up helping somone move.  I didn't get home untl 3 somthing THIS MORNING!  so I had some sleep to catch up on.   :-\

might try next week.