Author Topic: Transfercase  (Read 1553 times)

Offline JSchwinn

• Trail Queen
Transfercase
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Hey, for some reason my Tcase wont shift into 4-lo so rather than mess around with it I decided I would see if anyone has some sitting around they'd sell?  I'm going to do a SYE when I do my 8.8 so I figure it'd make my life easier to just grab another one so the jeep isn't out of commission while I mess with the current case.  When I do the swap I can figure out whats wrong with it and use it as a spare.  I have some random parts lying around so maybe can work a trade into it.
1993 YJ - I6 - 4" RC Lift - 8k Winch - 33's

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Transfercase
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
Have you checked the linkage underneath? 9 times out of 10 the linkage is fouled up or if you've installed a body lift the shifter is hitting the body and cannot go all the way into position.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline JSchwinn

• Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »
I messed around with it a little bit when I dropped from the 3" BL it came with to a 1".  It isn't hitting the body, just doesn't seem to want to go back into 4-lo.  Most likely it's a simple fix, was more looking to get another just to do the SYE in advance of the swap and then just sell the one in it after I'm done or keep it as a spare.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
Have you checked the linkage underneath? 9 times out of 10 the linkage is fouled up or if you've installed a body lift the shifter is hitting the body and cannot go all the way into position.

What he said, the PO may have moved the boot to make it work with the taller BL...

As for the SYE install,you don't have to take it out, it can be done while the case is still in the jeep. I know people that have done it that way!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »

What he said, the PO may have moved the boot to make it work with the taller BL...

As for the SYE install,you don't have to take it out, it can be done while the case is still in the jeep. I know people that have done it that way!

I did it that way on my Cherokee over at Kirk's house several years ago. I had a kink in my neck for two days after that so I took my case out this time on the YJ and it is on the benchtop.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Big Chuck

• President
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Hey, for some reason my Tcase wont shift into 4-lo so rather than mess around with it I decided I would see if anyone has some sitting around they'd sell?  I'm going to do a SYE when I do my 8.8 so I figure it'd make my life easier to just grab another one so the jeep isn't out of commission while I mess with the current case.  When I do the swap I can figure out whats wrong with it and use it as a spare.  I have some random parts lying around so maybe can work a trade into it.

So will it not shift, or does your shifter get "stuck"? I was having the problem of it popping out of 4-low, I popped the shifter off and flipped it over, no problems now.
Chuck
Tube chassis, 5.3LS, Ford Dana 60 Chevy 14 Bolt 5.13 gears. 203/205 doubler, Hydro steering, air shocks, 42 inch Iroks on 16.5 H1 double bead locks.

Offline JSchwinn

• Trail Queen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
It wont shift what so ever, it may be the linkage just haven't really dug into it.  The linkage is a little loose but I did get under the jeep and try shifting it from there with no luck.