Author Topic: Flush mount stock tail lights  (Read 2931 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Flush mount stock tail lights
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:48:14 AM »
I figured out why I have never seen anyone flush mount stock tail lights, it is a LOT of work!  It has been a lot of work, but the passenger side it 100% done and the drivers side is started.  Here is how I did it:

Mods to the tail light:
1.  Break off the red lens on the side of the light.
2.  Used some thin platic ( Cool Whip container) to make a cover for the light that just was broke off.  This is to make the light narrower, which means a smaller hole in the body later.
3.  In the back of the light there is a plate that makes the ground connection, this needs to be cut off just above the divider plate for the reverse light.  I used a dremel to make a deep score mark, and then bent it up and broke it off.
4.  The top 1" of the back housing needs to be cut off.  The wheel well only allows for the hole to go up to the bottom of it, so to make it work I had to gain some height by cutting the back side of the light.  This makes the spot for thre reverse light pretty small, but see below to make it work.
5.  Add a wire from the ground plate to go to a body ground.  The stock light used the bolts that hold it in place for the conenction, and since this is gone it needs another way to ground.
6.  I also painted the inside with Chrome paint to make the light reflection a little brighter.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Flush mount stock tail lights
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
Mods to the body:
1.  I made a template using the back side of the light and measured twice and cut once.  The hole goes right up to the bottom of the wheel well.  I made the rough cuts a little smaller and then used a die grinder to make it fit perfect.

The Electrical:
1.  A wire needs to be added to make a ground (mentioned above).  I found some random hole from the factory in a support bracket to use for the ground connection.
2.  Autozone carries water resistant LED strips.  I bought a 4" long strip with 8 little LED lights to use for the reverse lights. The lights have 3M tape on the back and are just a power and a ground.
3.  While I was in there, I added LED bulbs for the running, turn and brake lights.  This reqired an additional ballast to make the flashers work.  I picked up the lights and the ballast at Autozone and it was really easy to unstall with the new ground wire.

The result is a light that sticks out the thickness of the lens, and brighter (and more modern looking) lights.  I still need to finish the drivers side, but the hard part of figuring it all out is done. It was all a lot of work, but Jeeps used the rectangular tail lights for so long that they just look right.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »
Snap a picture when you get a chance. I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually mount the rectangular taillight flush into the back end. It does sound like it was a lot of work. I guess there's a reason we see the small round lights flush mounted the majority of the time.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
i have seen it once at the jeep show when i was up in ct it was on a teal tj on 35's
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:12 PM »
Snap a picture when you get a chance. I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually mount the rectangular taillight flush into the back end. It does sound like it was a lot of work. I guess there's a reason we see the small round lights flush mounted the majority of the time.

X2
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:04 AM »
I took some pics, I hope they work:

2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
WOW :o. Thats cool. Very nice job.  Feel like doing a JK ;D
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
Those look good Kirk.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Wow!  Excellent job.  Looks great, Kirk!
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 03:21:35 AM »
Thanks Guys. 

They will stick out even less when my new corners show up.  I am going to cut the corners so they go over the lights.  The corners shipped on Monday so they might be here before Sundays ride.  The ones I bought are for a TJ so I can move the gas filler to the side. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 11:02:36 PM »
what are you going to do about side marker lights?
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:05 AM »

Who needs those? I never had sidemarker lights front or rear on my TJ.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »

This is the one part that makes this mod not 100% legal.  Like Roger said, a lot of people get away with out them.  I also need to come up with a licence plate light, but I have an idea for that one.  If the police ever hassel me about it, I will come up with something. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
I finished up this project today with the drivers side.  I had to trim a 1/4" off of the gas filler trim to fit the light.  With the license plate you can't even see it.  I also had to add a new rubber stop for the YJ flip down plate to keep it from hitting the bottom edge of the light.  When my new corners go on this will be no issue at all.  The corners havn't shown up yet but I am ready to go on Sunday.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT