Author Topic: No bus and no start  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
No bus and no start
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
So, I went to leave home in the TJ Saturday morning and it started just fine.  Finished backing out and put it in drive, gassed it and it died.  Gauges were still working and it cranked.  Wouldn't start though.  Then gauges all died and the no bus came up on the odometer.  Looked on line and saw that it is often connection problem to the instrument cluster.  So today I removed it and checked the connections and grounds and all seemed good.  Moved and looked at all the harnesses.  Seem fine.  Still NO start/no bus.  Could be a crank position sensor as well.  This sucks.  Anybody had experience with this problem?
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Burnt Rubi

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
Re: No bus and no start
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
I've read somewhere in the past that is an issue with dash plug connection coming loose.  Tap/gently beat on the instrument cluster or disassemble and check the connector.
06 TJ Rubicon, 2.5" RE Extreme duty LA, Bilstein 5100, 33" Duratrac's, ARB Front Stubby Bull Bar w/ warn winch, Rockhard rear bumper with swing away tire carrier.
1983 CJ8 Scrambler - Currently stock

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
I thought I had this problem on my XJ, but it turned out to be a bad guage cluster.  When I was looking into it, here was a service bulletin that replaced the elctircal connection that goes to the cluster.  If you google it you can find the part number.  I think it was under $15 from the Jeep dealer and it took about 15 minutes to install.  You will need to cut and connect all the wires, but it is not as difficult as it looks.  A little heat shrink will make it good as new. 

Good Luck.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
Greg- a few questions for you to try and help you troubleshoot. 

1.  Do you have a grey key or a black one?  The grey one has the chip in it which can cuase some problems.
2.  Will it run for 2 seconds and shut off or not start at all?

Check out the link to a similarly set up Jeep and the advice out there
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407739

It sounds like the most likely cause is the cam sensor based on your description and it sounds like unplugging it will remove the No Bus indication and if so then it is the sensor.  Keep us informed and we can keep trying to help.
If it is the guage connector they list the part number.  They also list numbers for heat shrink tube and some other crap that you wouldn't need.

It looks like if it is the Camshaft Sensor it is only $42- $87 depending on brand. 
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Suggest&langId=-1&searchTerm=camshaft+sensor&vehicleIdSearch=42449&searchedFrom=header#storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&vehicleIdSearch=42449&isAllVehicle=false&navigationPath=&sortBy=4&searchTerm=camshaft+sensor&pageId=ajaxPartList&category=&l1_categoryId=&l2_categoryId=&partType=&beginIndex=0&filterValue=vehicleId1%3A42449*exact&pageSize=10&filters=&selectedPartNumber=&qty=1&ship2HomeClicked=
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:28:23 AM »
Thanks Kirk! 
Okay.... 1- I have the black key and 2- It won't start/run at all.
Something weird happened tonight while I was looking at it.  The turn signal was going very fast and wouldn't stop.  Only slowed down when switched.  Also, the hazard switch seemed to effect it.  Changing the tilt column level made the weird stuff stop happening.
I will check it out more and look at the links you provided and post here what I find.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Burnt Rubi

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
Did your clockspring get wet?  The turn signal/hazzard issue sounds like a clockspring issue.
06 TJ Rubicon, 2.5" RE Extreme duty LA, Bilstein 5100, 33" Duratrac's, ARB Front Stubby Bull Bar w/ warn winch, Rockhard rear bumper with swing away tire carrier.
1983 CJ8 Scrambler - Currently stock

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
Did your clockspring get wet?  The turn signal/hazzard issue sounds like a clockspring issue.

I know Fords have an issue with the clock springs that cause a no start, so it is a good possibility that could cause it.  I also remember readi something about Jeep making some wires too short in the steering column which can cause problems.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk! 
Okay.... 1- I have the black key and 2- It won't start/run at all.
Something weird happened tonight while I was looking at it.  The turn signal was going very fast and wouldn't stop.  Only slowed down when switched.  Also, the hazard switch seemed to effect it.  Changing the tilt column level made the weird stuff stop happening.
I will check it out more and look at the links you provided and post here what I find.

Do you get any indications at the gauge cluster?  If you unplug the cam sensor do you still get the No Bus light?
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:28:41 AM »
I pulled the camshaft position sensor plug and the no bus still comes up. The brake light on the cluster lights up while cranking. The hazards do not work as they should, but the switch does have an effect on how using the turn signal reacts.  Short in harness or hazard switch?  Don't think anything got wet, but will google clockspring. 
Thanks for all the help!
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
I'm not positive on the TJ but at the botton of the steering column are all the wiring plugs. I have had these loosen up on me before and a quick unplug and reconnect worked for my issues. It may help to unplug one at a time to help isolate the problem.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
I'm not positive on the TJ but at the botton of the steering column are all the wiring plugs. I have had these loosen up on me before and a quick unplug and reconnect worked for my issues. It may help to unplug one at a time to help isolate the problem.

Well it sounds like the camshaft sensor is good, it is not the security system, and the gauge cluster wouldn't keep it from starting.  If the tilt made some stuff go crazy, it sounds like the steering column might be the problem.  Try pulling apart any connection you can, one at a time and checking for bent pins, rust etc...
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:58:52 PM »
Gonna do some more checking today.  With the weird stuff happening around the hazard, I'm going to focus in the column area today. Really hoping to figure something out on this today.
Also, could someone please message me the address for the club meeting?
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »
I don't think a clock spring or a gauge cluster will cause a no start.  It sounds like a bad crank sensor but I am used to using a scan tool & watch the crank sensor for a signal so am only taking a wild guess.  Crank sensors are very common on the 4.0L. Also could be the cam sensor.  Depending on the yr you either have a Distributor with a pick up inside or the DIS set up with just a cam sensor at the top of a short housing in place of where the Distributor was. If you don't have a scan tool then it would be nice if someone had spare parts for you to try. Be very carefull when replacing the cam sensor because it only goes in one way.  You must have the engine on TDC before removing it.  Too much to explain so just read up on how to replace it.  Recomend going for the crank sensor first unless you find someone with a scan tool.  Check for codes because that can give you an idea of what the PCM is not seeing.  The no bus on the cluster is prob just a bad conection in the back of the cluster.  There is a TSB for the conection issue that involves replacing both the conectors behind the cluster (All conections must be soldered)  and then using Electral Contact Cleaner (you can buy this at any parts store) & gently clean all the small pins in the back of the cluster.  I use a very small round type wire brush to get between the pins. DON'T BEND THE PINS. The pins may look fine but there is a fine coating of carrosion that builds up on them that you usually can't see & synce the bus conection uses 5 volt or less signals then it does not take much carrosion to disrupt the signal.  Hope this helps you.  Good luck.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:35 PM »
Alrighty then.  Not sure whats up with the hazards.  Not a big deal right now. Found the problem with the no bus thing.  Crank position sensor.  Unplugged it and all my gauges came up and the no bus went away.  Excellent.  Researching this tells me I should order a Genuine Mopar unit.  The others show a really high failure rate. 
Thanks for all the help! 
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »
Good call Bob!!! ;D

Greg- glad to hear you found the problem!!!
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT