Author Topic: Axel and Locker  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: Axel and Locker
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
How did you make out this weekend? are you going to be ready for Saturday's run?
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
I can't get the locker in. It locks up as soon as we tighten the bolts. We pulled out the pinion and didn't find but one shim.  Changed the seals and bearings there also.  Have been talking to the guy at work and it seems I have done it all wrong.  I NEED HELP!!!!!! My brother and I are at the end of our rope.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
How did you make out? Do you have it back together yet???
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »
So here is the deal.  The locker is in after a long argument with 4wd.com. I ended up taking the TJ to Bob's Auto in Groton.  It was through them that I found out that it didn't fit. When I ordered the locker/axle kit I was assured that it would work with my Dana 35 3.07 ring and pinion.  My brother and I tried for weeks to figure out what we were doing wrong.  Turns out that the locker was made for a 3.54 and up. So I spent another $600 in parts (3.73 R/P for the rear and 3.73 R/P plus carrier for the front) to get it on the road. On top of that it cost a pretty penny to have Bob's Auto do the work. Being that they had to take everything out and piece it back together.  I learned plenty.  I changed all the seals and bearings. I learned I get a bit claustrophobic under my Jeep even with jack stands in place. I learned that if I need a specialty tool to work on the TJ, I can go to either Autozone or Advanced Auto and they will check them out to me for no charge. (Slide Hammer with all the attachments and a Bearing Installation Tool) My next project between now and Florida Vacation is to put on the new lower control arms. When the Jeep was on the lift at Bobs i saw just how mangled they were. So now she is back on the road.  It is interesting driving a vehicle with an auto locker. It has taken a little getting use to.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
Glad to hear its all back together. You must have noticed a big difference going from 3.07s to 3.73s. Its going to krawl much better now. I no how you feel about spending so much cash. I was sick to my stomic after ordering the lift, wheels, tires & rear bumper for my jeep. Wish it only cost $600 but went just a tad over that ::).  Its all going on the 30th of this month. Can't wait ;D.  See you at Florida Vacation.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
It drives a whole lot different than before.  If I were do it all over again I would opt for air or electric lockers.  It is surprising when it decides to kick in.  Sometimes it even a bit unnerving with a loud pop as the gears in the locker mesh together. 

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
You'll get used to it Chuck. I had a Detroit in my TJ and it takes a little bit of getting used to. You'll learn when to accelerate out of a corner, etc as you drive it more and before you know it you'll won't even think about it being back there anymore.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »
You'll get used to it Chuck. I had a Detroit in my TJ and it takes a little bit of getting used to. You'll learn when to accelerate out of a corner, etc as you drive it more and before you know it you'll won't even think about it being back there anymore.

x2... I am running Aussie's front and rear.  Even though I can disengage the front one by being in 2wd, the rear one did take some getting used to.  I found that one I got used to it on dry roads I don't even know it is back there.  When the road is wet or is slick from snow, it can get a little scary.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT