Author Topic: Suggestions for new tires?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Suggestions for new tires?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:23:39 AM by Flex »
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
If you find something that needs extra siping you can borrow my heated grooving tool. Smaug saw me use this on my old style BFG MTs and it works great for cutting extra grooves and siping them. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Sounds good Roger, I was gonna inquire about that.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 05:48:14 AM »
Those Pitbull Rockers Nate posted the link to are a great deal.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »
yeah man, I'm gonna try to get them
W.O.J.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 04:56:44 AM »
Awesome.  I think those will be great for you.

Next, you need this:

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2697874989.html

Your front needs seals and an Aussie minimum right?  A little more then that would cost and you'll have a rebuilt axle, lockright, Superior brand 4.10's, and chromoly shafts.

Then, sell your locked 8.25, pick up an Explorer 31 spline 4.10 geared 8.8, and swap it in.

Combine those axles with those tires and you'll be able to get on it without much worry.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Awesome.  I think those will be great for you.

Next, you need this:

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2697874989.html

Your front needs seals and an Aussie minimum right?  A little more then that would cost and you'll have a rebuilt axle, lockright, Superior brand 4.10's, and chromoly shafts.

Then, sell your locked 8.25, pick up an Explorer 31 spline 4.10 geared 8.8, and swap it in.

Combine those axles with those tires and you'll be able to get on it without much worry.

that axle is most likly a lp axle since it is coming from a tj
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
Correct, it would be a LP 30.  It would still be a good deal though.  His current LP 30 needs work and I know he wanted to do an Aussie locker already too.

You could buy this one, already rebuilt, with Chromo's for just a little more then rebuilding his current axle.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
Not that it matters but just a correction his current axle is a HP.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Thanks Bill, but I couldn't justify $700 on a dana 30 LP. Besides, mine is an HP, which should be stronger, and my 29 spline 8.25 isn't much weaker than a ford 8.8. I think i'll just make it easy and stay with 3.55s, since I eventually plan on starting a YJ project. At that point I will start with no less than 1 tons, and 36s, but we will have to see what kind of job the wife finds and get settled into a house before I can start anything like that. With that being said I ran the half tread, 33x12.5 ATs for a while with 3.55s, without a locker, and I got by, so this will undoubtedly be a huge improvement!
W.O.J.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »
Not that it matters but just a correction his current axle is a HP.

Stupid unibody rigs.  Never like the rest of us. ;D

Thanks Bill, but I couldn't justify $700 on a dana 30 LP. Besides, mine is an HP, which should be stronger, and my 29 spline 8.25 isn't much weaker than a ford 8.8. I think i'll just make it easy and stay with 3.55s, since I eventually plan on starting a YJ project. At that point I will start with no less than 1 tons, and 36s, but we will have to see what kind of job the wife finds and get settled into a house before I can start anything like that. With that being said I ran the half tread, 33x12.5 ATs for a while with 3.55s, without a locker, and I got by, so this will undoubtedly be a huge improvement!

The ad says $700, but the title says $600.  I think he dropped the price.  That said, the design on yours being a HP front is stronger, but the factory gears are not as good a Superior's.  To me, that makes them about even.  The biggest selling point for this axle to me is the fact that it has the locker and chromoly's already installed plus it has been rebuilt.  You won't have seal issues or anything else like that if you were to get it.

Heck you could get it and then we could swap the lockright, chromoly axles, and all the newer rebuilt ball joints, brakes, and bearings to your axle.  Then you keep your HP 30 w/ 3.55's, gain a locker and chromoly's, and get new ball joints, brakes, and unit bearings in the process.  I am almost positive the parts, shafts included, on a HP 30 can swap to a LP 30.

Now, with all this in mind, you are 100% correct that just the tires alone will be a massive improvement.  I just like this idea because with the newer parts and chomoly's you'd be able to get on it and not worry too much about breaking the front out from under it.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:08:41 PM by Bill3753 »

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
unfortunately even if i did want to do this, I couldn't justify it to the wife, after buying the tires Nate posted. Besides that I just bought a new laptop, and I'm gonna owe Nate for the work hes doing, with the seals, aussie, paint and whatever other goodies you guys are doing.. I'd rather know that you guys just did the seals freshly and just run what i got, without having to swap the axles out etc.
W.O.J.