Author Topic: Genright Full Cage Install  (Read 1325 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Genright Full Cage Install
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
Step One: Level Jeep (We leveled it after we took the cage out to make more room in the garage)
Step Two: Remove anything you dont want burned to include old cage.

Step Three: Install mounting brackets for B pillar followed by A and C pillars

A Pillar Support (Note: when mounting the bracket to the floor, it is not possible to use the square mounting plate on the underside of the tub without modifying the factory sliders for clearance) Instructions for how to install A Pillar supports is very good.

B Pillar Support (Can only go in one way. Pretty straight forward)

C Pillar Suport (Note: At time of photo, it was not determined which position was the correct one. As it turns out, to line up the bars, it must rotate 180* So that the arch is to the back and towards the inside of the jeep.)

We got the B Pillars and C pillars mocked up along with the B to C tie bars that go along the tub, but I didnt get any pictures of that yet. I will later though for your viewing pleasure. So far what I'm finding, is that the instructions are vague and kind of just say "Assemble Cage starting from the  center." Which is less than helpful if you are not able to look at the one drawing you get, with all the pipes labeled, and understand what they want you to do. There has been a lot of trial and error going on with our tack welds. To figure out most of it, we wound up using the images off of the Genright website for the cage to get different angles and better understand what they wanted us to do. Also, in the instructions, the Genright crew is using a Fab Rig that they made so that they can mass produce these things. It is a bunch of angle iron and square tubing that is all set up to make sure everything lines up. Throughout the procedure they tell you to clamp your bars to this rig (That you are supposed to have or build I guess..) Grab a level and use common sense and you can get it lined up just fine w/o the rig though. More to come tonight or tomorrow after we assemble more of the cage. Hopefully we can have it all tacked up and ready for welding tonight so that tomorrow we can finish it.

5 hours down... 10 to 15 to go?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Re: Genright Full Cage Install
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
So here are the beginning of the day shots (where we left off yesterday) that I promised.

A/B/C Pillars, B Pillar Cross Bar and B/C Tie Bars are mocked up

Todays work included getting the rest of the main cage mocked up and beginning to weld things in place. Ran into a few spots where I had to grind down 2 of the bars for the window so that they would fit properly. As it turns out, I'm super handy with a grinder and made quick work of the bars.

Adding the C Pillar Cross Bar and the C Pillar/Cross Bar Braces to locate the C Pillar Cross Bar Location

C Pillar Cross to B Pillar Cross Tie Bars installed (And Justin Urian, my welder for this project)

A Pillar Cross Bar and A to B Cross Bar Ties installed (And a cool welding shot with a cell phone). I insisted he wear long sleeves and gloves, but he's pretty stubborn.

Just about have the whole cage mocked up with the exception of the gussets and the window bars

Top shot.

I didnt get any end of day shots again cause I forgot. But we were able to get all of the window bars in including the "V". Tomorrows work will include Justin welding up the cage while I'm at work and we will gusset it after he gets some of the other welds that will be underneath finished. I still have to fab the angles for the grab handles and the window support brackets so that should keep me busy for an hour or two tomorrow afternoon. So far, all things are looking on track to be finished by friday morning.

Total time involved: 9 hours

Offline TheGreatChalupa

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Passenger
  • This is what I've got
    • Facebook: Robert Monroe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:22:33 AM »
Looks sweeet 8)  should i come over for a little bit to get the front of my truck fixed. :)
so im driving a cube in japan. :(

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »
tomorrow when you get out of work, call me. it'll take literally 30 seconds.

Offline TheGreatChalupa

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Passenger
  • This is what I've got
    • Facebook: Robert Monroe
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:47:16 AM »
cool ;D ;D
so im driving a cube in japan. :(

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master