Author Topic: Electrical tracing in my F250  (Read 1484 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Electrical tracing in my F250
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
I was out in the garage tonight wiring in my electric brake controller and when i took the cover off under the steering wheel I found that someone has been doing a lot of tinkering under there. I found two switches stuffed up there as well as another cigarette lighter hanging loose that looks like it's wired to the back of the one in the dash. I have no idea what the switches are for, but the cigarette lighter has a plug in it that is electrical taped in and then wires going somewhere. I think I'm going to try figuring out what all of those things are for before I add any more wires under there. There's also a box with a bunch of wires under there that does not look stock. You can see where it was all spliced in so I don't know if there's an aftermarket alarm hiding under there or something else.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline TheGreatChalupa

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Passenger
  • This is what I've got
    • Facebook: Robert Monroe
Re: Electrical tracing in my F250
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
i took the after market alarm out of my neighbors mustang and it looked like a box with a bunch of wires coming out.  they spliced into the light switch wires for the doors and other things.  if you don't cut the wires they are sliced into then everything will still work right.  make sure you pull out everything.  i would pull out the lighter crap too.
so im driving a cube in japan. :(

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »
Most likely after market alarm or remote starter. If you feel confident then remove it but if not then just leave it alone because if you don't hook up the wires corectly then the truck might not run or could have a check engine light. Should not cause an issue if you leave it alone. It might have been already disabled.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »
I think the box with all the wires is going to stay and probably those couple switches too, but I may switch them on/off to see if I can see anything that they do. I did notice wiring going up into my lighting harness and it looks like ignition also so it's either an alarm or remote starter. I am going to remove the cigarette lighter that's loose and whatever it is that's plugged into it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »
Electric brake controller is in after I did a little clean up. There was a Sirius radio set up under there that I removed and i think the box is some type of aftermarket alarm. I left it alone. Here's a pic of what I removed from under the dash and then the two switches that i just tied back up under the dash. One is a very small toggle on/off switch and the other is a push button reset type switch.

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
don't love a quality wiring job like that! I love the hard wired cigarette adapter.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline TheGreatChalupa

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Passenger
  • This is what I've got
    • Facebook: Robert Monroe
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:44 AM »
d.i.y. never touched a wire before.  yuk :-\
so im driving a cube in japan. :(

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
Atleast the truck still runs  ;D
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »
Atleast the truck still runs  ;D

I made sure I didn't cut or remove anything that I couldn't see the end of. That whole Sirius radio stuff and everything was traceable so I could pull it all out. The switches go to a box that has a bunch of ignition wires spliced into it so it's staying.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
maybe the cigarette lighter was being used to power a 12v GPS?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.