Author Topic: 1982 CJ7  (Read 26328 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: 1982 CJ7
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2011, 02:42:59 AM »
The starter does not spin or the start is not engaging into the flywheel?
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »
The starter does not spin or the start is not engaging into the flywheel?

my guess since it is doug the battery is dead
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
battery isnt dead it was on a charger. i hear a noise when i turn it over but it sounds like it's coming from the carb, no noise coming from around the starter
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:17:29 PM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
battery isnt dead it was on a charger. i hear a noise when i turn it over but it sounds like it's coming from the carb, no noise coming from around the starter

Double check the wiring, I believe there is a relay mounted on the firewall and I've had the wire that runs to the startred fall off of the relay, it's a small green on on my YJ, if it did fall off you will only get a click out of the relay!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2011, 04:37:54 AM »
will look at it tomorrow.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
still couldn't figure it out. i grounded the starter to itself and it didn't spine still. beat on it with a hammer and then tried to start it again and nothing. re-installed everything and next weekend it's going up to my old high school where my brother is going to get my electrical system actually working again. so it'll be up there until june time frame so i'll have an empty garage and now he will have the headache of electrical systems  ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
all put back together ready for its trip up to the school

1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
been awhile since i posted up. the teacher up at the school has remounted the cross member and roll bar. i just bought a drivers side seat bracket and stock shackles with new bushings to install when it gets back. they're just rigging me up some tail lights and i'll be driving it home when that's done. when it gets back im going to replace all the brake components and do a full tune up. then start looking into what i wanna do to paint it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2012, 02:07:39 AM »
got the jeep back and it was running fine. drove it in the rain and it got pissed off and wont start as of right now. going to tinker with it this coming weekend. probably have a short somewhere because i've already checked my distributor and it's dry. in other news though i just bought:
daystar 1"body mount replacements (replacement body mounts that are just 1" taller)
rusty's HD drag link
rusty's HD tie rod
4 new drums
4 new wheel cylinders
shoes all around
adjusting screws all around
and hardware kits all around

figure the jeep is going to sit nearly stock until i buy a house to do the work on it at so i might as well replace my drum brakes. the body mounts were shot and i found the daystar kit on sale and the rusty's steering was cheaper than oem parts ($110 each to the door) 
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
got the day star kit, got the rusty's HD steering kit but i ordered the wide track ones on accident so.... i found on GL4X4 a set of wide track cj axles for $200. they have the 1 piece conversion for the amc20 and upgraded warn hubs on the front axle. i returned the front set of brakes and will be buying new pads and rotors for this set. i also found somebody who has a 10k sq ft shop with a hoist that im going to help him move some stuff in exchange for using his hoist. so in a month when i get out of school im going to do all this work.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
not sure if anybody is still reading this but i like to keep records  :P

found a big hole in my dist. coil cover which let water in while i was driving in the rain and fried the coil. found out that i have an HEI dist. from a SBC so i ordered a 67 vette coil and cap for it, already put the coil in and it fired right up, still waiting on the cap.

also ordered a new ignition lock/cylinder because mine is worn out and it can be started without the key in it.

somebody on a CJ only forum mailed me a license plate bracket so now i don't have to have the plate duct taped to the rear window  ;D

going to have the carb rebuilt and then just going to drive it and replace/upgrade things as $$ comes in. waiting on my buddy to get his hoist installed at his shop so i can do my axle swap, HD steering upgrade, and 1" body mount lift.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
If you still have the Carter carb from the factory look at upgrading to a MC2100. Much better carb and doesn't mind steep hills and extreme angles when offroading.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:56 AM »
If you still have the Carter carb from the factory look at upgrading to a MC2100. Much better carb and doesn't mind steep hills and extreme angles when offroading.

since it's just the iron duke engine i didn't really plan on messing with it. i really want to drop a amc 360 in it since it's a direct bolt in. but depending upon how much somebody wants to rebuild this one i may do just that. thanks for the advice roger
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »
found out that i have an HEI dist. from a SBC so i ordered a 67 vette coil and cap for it, already put the coil in and it fired right up, still waiting on the cap.

what vette came with a 4 banger are you just using a plug wire on every other stud wth are you doing

and hei did not come around until the late 70's so y did you order that

just bring it down to me leave the keys and a blank check and i will get you rolling right

just a reminder the offer still stands

i build cool stuff

yes it is a mile high but that will change(but it would be awesome in the early 90's when mile high lifts were cool so i guess i got a vintage cool going on)

and my cj is cooler than yours
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:53:51 AM by gearhead1985B »
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:49 AM »
the coil and cap cover fit on the dist. so i'm not asking questions anymore. and the dist cap has 8 points but only 4 of them have the metal attachments yet again, i'm not asking questions anymore  :o it runs and drives now, mostly off of PFM so i'm not touching it  ;D waiting on my buddy to get a hoist installed at his shop so i can swap out my axles, replace the body mounts, shocks, and steering.
1982 CJ7-stock