Author Topic: 1982 CJ7  (Read 26360 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: 1982 CJ7
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011, 02:08:35 AM »
Actually the fluids should be a honey color so by the color your saying it sounds like water is mixed in with the fluid or it is just really old..(not good). I would recomend changing all fluids first but before waisting your cash on new fluids you should put it up on some good jack stands(recomend doing this with no wheels on so to be safe & put all lug nuts on to keep rotors & drums from flopping around) & run it through the gears in 4 wheel drive to make shure there are no strange noises from any bearings(t case,trans,f&r diffs) because no sence in waisting good expensive fluid on something that is going to need a rebuild. When draining any fluid it is a good idea to use a clean container so you can inspect the old fluid for internal wear. Fluid will have a mitallic sparkel if there is bearing wear(not good). Find a strong clean magnet & run it through the fluid & see if it picks up alot of metal debris. Even a small amount is not good but then again I can only imagin the amount of metal floating around in Rocks AX15 & that thing is still going. That shows how much abuse a manual trans can take before it finally quits(or will it quit)

i have a grinding sound when i push down on the clutch pedal. even when both trans and transfer are in neutral when i push down it grinds. also it might've been a honey color or abit darker. with my luck it's original from 82/81
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
Does it grind when the engine it off?
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 02:48:08 AM »
If it's running and in neutral with the clutch pressed in does it sound like a spinning grinding sound? One of my CJs had a throwout bearing that was going on it and it made a grinding like something was spinning inside.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 12:11:13 AM »
If it's running and in neutral with the clutch pressed in does it sound like a spinning grinding sound? One of my CJs had a throwout bearing that was going on it and it made a grinding like something was spinning inside.

never tried it when it's off. and it somewhat sounds like a spinning grinding sound. i'll let you guys know sunday night when i drive it on the jacks =]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:26:22 AM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:59 AM »
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/reptile610/1982%20CJ7/?action=view&current=MVI_1428.mp4

vid of me starting it and pushing in the clutch while in neutral. can you guys hear the weird sounds?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:23 AM »
I haven't been following along on this thread 100%, but it sounds like you have a bad throw out bearing, maybe more.  I would replace the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing.  You should be able to buy all of it as a set.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
I haven't been following along on this thread 100%, but it sounds like you have a bad throw out bearing, maybe more.  I would replace the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing.  You should be able to buy all of it as a set.

would this be the "clutch set" that is advertised on orielly's? price is around $200
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
sigh* going out to drop the transmission. gonna drain the fluid out of it first and out of the transfer case. hey atleast now i can put it on the bench and get a good look at everything.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 02:17:14 AM »
would this be the "clutch set" that is advertised on orielly's? price is around $200

Each clutch set will come with different parts, but the norm is all those parts.  Check with your supplier and see what they say their set offers.  They'll be able to tell you.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »
got the driveshafts out, unplugged what im guessing is the speedometer (idk some wire  ;) ) problem is i have no jackstands and only 1 jack. i went to reposition my jack on the trans instead of the bellhousing and as i let it down i watched the engine go to damn near a 45 degree angle so i jacked it back up for the night. gonna go buy some jackstands tomorrow morning. the 4 bolts holding the trans to the housing are already broke free and i took the shifter housing off too. im almost scared at how easy this trans is coming out. now everything that i'll need to replace is in the actual bell housing correct? and im going to need a torque wrench and the alignment tool for this job?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 02:51:29 AM »
and im going to need a torque wrench and the alignment tool for this job?

you will need both and an alignment tool normally comes with a clutch kit and dont forget to get your fly wheel resurfaced

also i recomend you finding some help to stuff the trans and and the d300 it is a pita to do it by yourself the alignment is the big problem 
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
and im going to need a torque wrench and the alignment tool for this job?

you will need both and an alignment tool normally comes with a clutch kit and dont forget to get your fly wheel resurfaced

also i recomend you finding some help to stuff the trans and and the d300 it is a pita to do it by yourself the alignment is the big problem 

ok. it'll be a few weeks before i have the money to do the job. just really wanted to get the trans out of the way for some reason. but just as a smart a$$ remark since you guys like to make fun of me for using automatics..... I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS IN AN AUTOMATIC!   ;D ;D ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS IN AN AUTOMATIC!   ;D ;D ;D

no but it would cost 5x as much when the auto goes bad and after you learn to drive a stick a clutch will last as long as an auto i know for certain if i had an auto i would have replaced more than one by now
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
got the trans out. the bolts came out easy but it almost seemed like the trans was fused to the bell housing. took a buddy and i shaking and pulling on it to finally break it free. removed all of the bolts on the bellhousing and the same thing. gonna get a rubber sledge hammer and beat it off this weekend.

any idea what that white stuff is on the housing? it's powdery
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 01:45:32 AM »
The white power is just corrosion.  On a different note, You should have left the bell housing on the trans and unbolted the bell housing from the engine to remove it all as an assembly.  Technically, when swapping bell housings, or reinstalling your old one, you need to index it to centerline of the input shaft using a dial indicator.

I understand there are probably alignment dowls and such, but those only get you so close.  It depends on how OCD you are if you actually decide to do the process.  I know some will tell you not to worry about it.  Its a procedure mostly done in high HP cars, but depending on your plans for this CJ it may be something you would want to look into.