Author Topic: Intake Manifold Help  (Read 1517 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Intake Manifold Help
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
I am looking to get a new intake manifold for the 98 Grand Cherokee. The one I'm looking at has an operating range of 2000-6000 RPM. What are the issues I may run into with this? I can't find anything on this kind of thing and don't have a huge knowledge base on intake manifolds. Also they come in EGR and Non EGR models. I believe I need the NON - EGR model, but haven't been able to find anything definitive on that either. Any input is appreciated.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5007852

Edit: I meant I think I need Non EGR. Lol.. ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:34:16 AM by RnnngTrails »
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: Intake Manifold Help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »
The 98 ZJ's are none EGR.  I owned a 98 ZJ 5.2L Limited for 9yrs & loved it. Sold it for my JK & still miss it. Always wanted to put a different intake on it because the Big Bulky Magnum intakes were good for low end tork but suck at anything over 4500rpm's. The improvements that I made to it were Borla cat back exhaust(not much noticed), AEM Cold air intake(huge Improvement),Flex-A Light 180 electric fan(huge improvement)Reved much faster & A/C worked much better at idle,Jet performance stage 2 chip(got for free & noticed nothing till installed 180 T Stat that is suposed to be installed w/Chip & that is when I noticed a small improvement), MSD ign wires & coil,Acell cap,rotor & iridium plugs(noticed huge improvement due to stock mopar ignition parts just plain suck), Deep sump trans pan w/drain plug(8Qt) ,large trans cooler & in line filter before cooler to stop any debris from cloging cooler in radiator(they clog very easy) Your trans will love you for it. The trans is the weak link in the ZJ but if you keep the fluid clean & cool it will last a long time if it is in good shape before you do this to it. If it is the 5.9 Limited(only offered in 98) then it has the Full size truck trans(46RE) but the 5.2L had the 44RE witch is the same as the 42RE behind the 4.0L but w/extra clutch disks & stiffer springs in the clutch packs. Sorry for the overload in info. I loved my ZJ. So yes I think the intake should make a sizeable improvement but remember this that the largest restriction in the 5.2 & 5.9 is the heads. Headers make a nice improvement because I have driven a 5.9 Limited with them & it was noticeable but the heads are holding this motor back in a MAJOR way.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:31:09 AM »
I award you a Gold star for an awesome answer!

That is a lot to process, but I have time to read it. The heads that are on the block I bought are stock, but because of that, the Long Block Assy. comes with a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty. I guess I can deal with the heads sucking for now. Thanks for the input!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »
http://www.jeepconnection.com/parts/index.html

Got my intake manifold here along with aluminum valve covers and gaskets. Intake manifold was 25.00 cheaper to me than cost to any of the other companies that carried it. Saved about $125 on it.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
Wish I saw this web site when I owned my ZJ. That Intake is sweet to say the least. Also did you see the 4bbl TBI?? Not shure if it would work with your intake tho.  If I herd you corectly you said the engine is new & not in the jeep yet. If so I hope your installing a cam to match the intake. It will make a huge improvement.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
I would need the 4bbl to 2bbl tbi adapter. I dont think it works though cause I need the MFI for the Injectors. Unfortunately it is an assembled long block already. And because of the warranty, I dont want to mess with the final product. They are giving me a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

http://www.flitelineenginesupply.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
so did u go from wanting a new intake manifold to ordering a all new engine?
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
No. I went from having a new engine, to wanting a new intake manifold as the old one is all kinds of filthy/destroyed in places I cant get to w/ a wire brush to clean. The engine in the car I bought has a spun rod bearing (or some other metal shavings in your oil causing condition)