Author Topic: Well, $#!t  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
Well, $#!t
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:49 AM »
So, there's no easy way to say it, but.....

I'm sellin the jeep, and movin up to bigger, more powerful things.  It's kind of a bitter-sweet thing to.
I lined up a deal for 04' 3/4 ton  4X4 Silverado w/ 6.6l Duramax and Allison1000 Transmission. She's an extended cab, and she is loaded w/ everything except leather and a sunroof. It only has 70k miles on it so it's practically brand new (for a diesel that is).  Already on the way is a Banks Performance Intake, SuperScoop, 6-Gun Tuner, and a buddy of mine is going to treat me with a full turbo back 5 mandrel bent straight pipe to a black oxide 8" stack on the passenger side.  In not to distant future, looking for a beefy front bumper, with a Warn 9.5 or bigger winch, and a set of 20" Rockstars rollin on teragrapplers. Already has leveling kit on the front and a Banks Billet Torque converter.  I know, sounds mallcrawlish, but the 25mpg's (better with a low tuned Banks setup) is so much better than the 10 i get right now in my rig (Not to mention, it will grab high 12's/low 13's on 1/4 mi with the tuner maxed.. Plus, I'm tired of having to work on it every other weekend and not even be able to wheel it.  

So, there it is. i sold out to the full size market.

But have no fear, when my wife gets her new car in the next couple of years, her 04' Grand cherokee is going to get some slightly wilder than mild Baja treatments to the tune of Low COG/High travel homebru IFS, and a full tube cage....  we'll just have to wait on that though. Till then, i'll just cruse my 450hp/800lb-ft black-smoke-blowin grocery gitter.

With all that said, dont fret. Your resident PITA jokester isn't just gonna run for the hills (beach) with his tail between his leg's.  I still got some hatin to do ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:07:05 PM by Swagger »
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Well, $#!t
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
Sounds like its bitter sweet for you, but should be fun all the same.  I've been inside a Cummins, International, and Isuzu deisel.  All were in indusrial applications, but same manufactures all the same.  Cummins for Dodge, International for Ford (at least until the new 2011 diesel), Isuzu for the GM 6600.

All three have thier strengths and weeknesses.  Treat them right with proper maintenance and all the non-commercial diesels in the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks will run for 300k+

One thing to consider though is your savings in MPG's will be offset with the higher cost of diesel and much higher cost of maintenance.  That being said, you'll definatly enjoy the truck.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
Oh so now whos building the mall crawler? Sounds like someones wife has got em' by the bawls. Friggen sell out! Some people on here may have no grammar skills but at least they still have jeeps. You sir, can no longer bust balls. lol
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:10:30 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
Yeah, keep sayin that as i pump diesel smoke down your throat!!!  ;D  LOL.  My wife? Got me by the balls? i think not good sir...  twas i that had to convince her. My wrangler was my Fathers' Day gift 3 years ago, and therefore, unsellable. That was untill i spent the first month and half home from the NAVY, underneath, trying to catch up on 9 months of deferred maintenance/gremlins.  And i'm still not caught up (fawkin control arms/bushings and shocks!!!)  The higher cost in maintenance is definitely  a downer, but the upside of that. is the the average of how much longer a well taken care of diesel out lasts the average gas engine.  As for the fuel costs, the gap between regular unleaded and diesel down here in Texas is a whole lot less than that of Connecticut and other states like California and HI.  on average, through most of the state, it's about $.08 more than gasoline.

But, I've been waiting for this for a long time. The way i look at it, I'm just gettin a nice tow pig. I'll add the new rig and trailer at another time.  (Technically i all ready have it, but my wife has got to drive something to work , right?????)
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
hah sure, I was just giving you back some of your own hatin'. ;)
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »
Are you trading it in? Or how much are you asking for it?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »
No need for a winch on a mall crowler but if you really think you need a winch then a 9500 is far too weak for that heavy rig. Min size should be a 12k but a 15k might be your better option.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:59:27 AM »
Bang for your buck, if you're getting a 12000 or 15000, you might as well get the Power Plant HD. At least then you get the 12000 lb winch AND onboard air.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:18:32 AM »
The Power Plant series Winches from Warn are a great idea.  The only issue I have with them is there so tall that they seem to block the opening to the radiator "Alot".  Feel the Engine could run Hot at times.  Especially when towing something.  I would stick with some sort of onboard Air system & go with a Low Profile Series Winch.  Turbo Diesel's rely on the Turbo intercooler (Witch is in front of the Radiator)  to cool the Hot intake charge from the Turbo's.  The cooler the Intake charge = more Hp.  Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:32:20 AM by skibum »
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »
Wow, i totally agree with, everything!!!

hah sure, I was just giving you back some of your own hatin'. ;)

I know, just playin along    ;D

Are you trading it in? Or how much are you asking for it?

I'm selling it. Asking $10k, hoping for $8750-ish. The only thing i really have going is the low mileage. 59,XXX as it sits.

No need for a winch on a mall crowler but if you really think you need a winch then a 9500 is far too weak for that heavy rig. Min size should be a 12k but a 15k might be your better option.

Um, duh. The whole point of building a mallcrawler is to bolt on a bunch of crap that i dont need. What part of winch + 20" rims didn't you understand.  ;D

Bang for your buck, if you're getting a 12000 or 15000, you might as well get the Power Plant HD. At least then you get the 12000 lb winch AND onboard air.
The Power Plant series Winches from Warn are a great idea.  The only issue I have with them is there so tall that they seem to block the opening to the radiator "Alot".  Feel the Engine could run Hot at times.  Especially when towing something.  I would stick with some sort of onboard Air system & go with a Low Profile Series Winch.  Turbo Diesel's rely on the Turbo intercooler (Witch is in front of the Radiator)  to cool the Hot intake charge from the Turbo's.  The cooler the Intake charge = more Hp.  Just my 2 cents.
  Go big, or Go home. Probably gonna try to find a delicately used power plant to stuff in the bumper, and it will sit low enough as to not restrict the air flow.  But i also did think of doing a permanatley mounted, in tool box OBA w/tank, hidden out of harms way, next to the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, along with the Bullydog propane tank.  Like i said, overkill, and lovin it.   

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
The Power Plant series Winches from Warn are a great idea.  The only issue I have with them is there so tall that they seem to block the opening to the radiator "Alot".  Feel the Engine could run Hot at times.  Especially when towing something.  I would stick with some sort of onboard Air system & go with a Low Profile Series Winch.  Turbo Diesel's rely on the Turbo intercooler (Witch is in front of the Radiator)  to cool the Hot intake charge from the Turbo's.  The cooler the Intake charge = more Hp.  Just my 2 cents.

I never actually found out about the overheating thing, as that was one of my initial concerns. I bought a Flex-A-Lite 3300CFM replacement electric fan and the Jeep runs at Normal Operating Temperatures.