Author Topic: Bad Virbrations  (Read 1616 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Bad Virbrations
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
Here is the problem in a nutshell.

1. The problem only occurs when I am moving.
 2. It only occurs when I am slowing down.
 3. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out.
 4. As soon as I begin speeding up it subsides.
 5. The slower I get the slower the rate of the vibration.
 6. It bucks the worst when I am almost stopped.

Any ideas?  I am willing to take someone for a ride to analyse the problem. 

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: Bad Virbrations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
Does it only happen when your using your brakes???
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »
No.  It starts as soon as I take my foot off the gas and coast.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »
Could have a seized caliper or your parking brake may be stuck a bit? But when it comes to jeeps, and wobbly, always check then track bar anyways.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »
It could be as simple as a ujoint in your rear driveshaft. When mine was going in the XJ you wouldn't notice it when it was loaded like when accelerating or maintaining speed, but as soon as you left off the gas the ujoint was loose enough to cause a vibration. Several on here will remember that I let it go a really long time and eventually it developed a squeak also as it rotated.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:04:40 AM »
It could be as simple as a ujoint in your rear driveshaft. When mine was going in the XJ you wouldn't notice it when it was loaded like when accelerating or maintaining speed, but as soon as you left off the gas the ujoint was loose enough to cause a vibration. Several on here will remember that I let it go a really long time and eventually it developed a squeak also as it rotated.
X2 on that. Check all your U Joints. I assume this started after our last trail run.  A good visual inspection is always a good start.
 I wish I could help you more but really need to drive it to diag it. Would be nice if you lived slightly closer. Just look closely into anything damaged like dents in the drive shafts witch can throw things out of balance. I no your RF lower controll arm got slightly bent but don"t feel that could cause a vibration unless it bent more later down the trail.  I was very impressed that you picked every line that Will did & his Jeep has much more clearnace so again just look for trail damage.
 The rock in the LR wheel. That was amazing!!!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
I only live about 20 min away but not available until Sat or Sun

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help diagnose the problem I was having

And the winner is... Skibum

I had a siezed U-Joint.  Rock and I worked on in this weekend and got the TJ back on the road.  In the process Rock showed me alot of things I didn't know.  We also went into the rear dif to make sure there was no damage because of the shaking.  The dif is no longer an intimidating cavern of fear for me.  I also got a quick lesson in drum brakes.  So all in all it was a good experience.  I am hoping to get the new oil pan and OP Skidplate on soon.  Then it will be time to hit the trails again.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
Thanks for calling me the winner but reading the posts it seams that Calvynandhobbs got the correct diag first.

Sorry I could not make it out there. If I had the time I would have found my way out there.  BTW you are 40min from my house.  Not 20min.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:21 AM »
  BTW you are 40min from my house.  Not 20min.

I know that now after travelling up to Rock's.