Author Topic: A/C repair  (Read 1638 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
A/C repair
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
The compressor in my Jetta is shot; and I would like to know if anyone has an idea of a good shop for A/C work?  Or if anyone has the tools/experience to do the freon work.  Swaping the compressor isn't that hard, but I've never done A/C work before.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: A/C repair
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
Was the refrigerant already converted to 135a? if your system was not left open for a long time and it didn't get to contaminated, you can buy a filter dryer when you change it out the compressor and they sell a kit that gives you the gauge an a couple of bottles of 134a to charge it back up.
I've had luck doing this.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »
If an A/C compressor is seized then before it seized it will send debris through the entire system(Evaporator,Condensor,Reciver/dryer & H block(or sometimes called an Expantion valve) & these components can't be cleaned out. All the A/C lines can be cleaned out with Brake Clean & compressed air. If the system is not cleaned out compleatly then there is a good chance the Expantion valve will get plugged. Trust me. I have seen this many time. Another BIG thing is after you put everything back together you MUST pull a vacume on the system (30in) for atleast 30min to boil out all the moisture. This is very important so the system will work properly. Also NEVER reuse any seal or O ring on any conection because it will most likely leak later on down the road.

All cars & trucks by Federal law started using R134A in 1994. R12 is very hard to find & VERY Expensive.

Repairing A/C is usually not cheep even for me because the parts are expensive but the BIG cost is labor because replacing an Evap involves removing the entire dash on many cars. I have no experince doing A/C repair on VW's & wan't to keep it that way because every time I get stuck working on a VW it always turns into a nightmare. There's always some sort of special tool needed to do a repair on thoes Germin cars. No wonder they lost the WOR!!!  I can definetly say replacing Evaps on "most" Honda's & Toyota's involves just removing the glove box & 2 of 3 halves of the heater box asembly. I gota say thoes Jap's got some good ideas sometimes but then again they also lost the WOR. Goes to show ya not to mess with the Good Ol USA.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:23:03 AM »

All cars & trucks by Federal law started using R134A in 1994. R12 is very hard to find & VERY Expensive.

really so i should hang on to the r12 that i have lying around
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:04:01 AM »

really so i should hang on to the r12 that i have lying around

I wouldn't if I were you; I'll come by and pick it up this week and deal w/ it :D
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
Not even shure you can get R12 anymore but not shure how much you could sell that stuff for becauce it's not that expansive to get a retro kit for R12 to R134A & R134A is cheep. I have 3 12LB cans & not quite shure what to do with it. Gess ill just hang on to it cuzz I might need it some day. Ya never no.  I always felt R12 worked better than R134A.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
The compressor in my Jetta is shot; and I would like to know if anyone has an idea of a good shop for A/C work?  Or if anyone has the tools/experience to do the freon work.  Swaping the compressor isn't that hard, but I've never done A/C work before.

this is ironic i just did my jetta ac pump lol drop me a line lol

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »
When the AC clutch siezed on the Liberty I did the job myself. I had the R143 reclaimed and then swapped out the compressor (can't swap just the clutch with the Liberty).  I had to by the air dryer and the evap line to get the warranty through Advance Auto.  After the repairs I had the system recharged.  When I called the dealer it was estimated at $1200 and a 1 year warranty.  I did the project for a little over $400 and I still got the 1 year warranty.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT