Author Topic: High lift jack  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
High lift jack
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
looking onto high lift jacks and mounting kits just wondering if I can get any tips on the best and cheapest way to go

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Re: High lift jack
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »
Ya digging around and its looking like about $150 unless I make my own hood mount witch is looking pretty good right now the Jack i want is $50

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
If you mount the jack on your roll bar, the jack will work better if not left out in the weather and less chance of someone stealing it.

A few options...  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/high-lift-roll-bar-mount-write-up-pics-792521/

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:04:26 AM »
Ya digging around and its looking like about $150 unless I make my own hood mount witch is looking pretty good right now the Jack i want is $50

$150 seems excessive... for $30 you can buy the "Hi-Lift" name brand bracket that will go on any flat surface. IE hood, bumper, etc.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7047
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:18:11 AM by RnnngTrails »

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »
thanks for the info definitely going to save me some money

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16:38 AM »
thanks for the info definitely going to save me some money

Here for you.

PS. If you submit a picture of a product on your jeep to 4wd.com and it gets accepted, you get an additional $5 off your next purchase. PLUS everyone else who looks at that part gets to see sweet pictures of your rig.  ::) Just food for thought.

Example: 4th picture in top row
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=241&plID=659&partID=9406

Only other picture of product:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=241&plID=659&partID=9408
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:19:06 AM by RnnngTrails »

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:31:23 AM »
Agree with Will, jacks outside in new england weather get screwed up, trust me, mine is in less than desirable shape for this reason. Unless you shove a wad of grease in there once a month or so, your gonna have issues with that jack, and it could be dangerous. I only use mine if i have to because its unpredictable. Id reccomend mounting it inside. You wont have to worry about it coming through your windsheild, people asking you stupid questions, weather damaging it, or anyone stealing it.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:52:18 AM »
I agree with the whole weather and theft thing, but where exactly on the roll bar are we talking?? I dont know about you guys, but my 48" jack takes up most of my rear bumper under my spare tire. I couldn't imagine having to take something that bulky in and out of a hard top(or soft top for that matter). Does anybody have any pictures of this style of mounting?  I'd like to see this. I've seen that they make brackets for it, but it almost seemed impractical. I also found as an alternative to grease, if you hit it with WD40 every so often, it keeps the dirt from building up on it and helps with the ease of use.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
I agree with the whole weather and theft thing, but where exactly on the roll bar are we talking?? I dont know about you guys, but my 48" jack takes up most of my rear bumper under my spare tire. I couldn't imagine having to take something that bulky in and out of a hard top(or soft top for that matter). Does anybody have any pictures of this style of mounting?  I'd like to see this. I've seen that they make brackets for it, but it almost seemed impractical. I also found as an alternative to grease, if you hit it with WD40 every so often, it keeps the dirt from building up on it and helps with the ease of use.

I hate wd40, its water based, makes stuff rust, if anything use pb blaster. Easier to just put a wad of smelly old grease if u ask me. but to each his own
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
Water Displacement,40th try to perfect the formula. Just wondering, how does something displaced water if it is supposedly water based?  Still, PB blaster is still god of spray junk in a can.  My .02 lincolns.   ::)
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
I agree with the whole weather and theft thing, but where exactly on the roll bar are we talking?? I dont know about you guys, but my 48" jack takes up most of my rear bumper under my spare tire.

I have my 48" High Lift sitting right in the back of my tub accross the back and I wouldn't think of putting it somewhere else.  It fits there very well and is easy to remove/install.

Check out the link that Will posted about mounting them.  That is exactly how I have mine.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
If you mount the jack on your roll bar, the jack will work better if not left out in the weather and less chance of someone stealing it.

A few options...  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/high-lift-roll-bar-mount-write-up-pics-792521/

That's great deffinately going to mount that way when I get my jack

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
Water Displacement,40th try to perfect the formula. Just wondering, how does something displaced water if it is supposedly water based?  Still, PB blaster is still god of spray junk in a can.  My .02 lincolns.   ::)

I may be wrong about the water based part, but it does cause things to rust, its not a penetrating oil, was the point i was trying to make.  :-\
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
I hear ya. dubbya-d 4d blows dudes. Yay PB Blaster
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!