Author Topic: front axle may or may not be blown.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
front axle may or may not be blown.
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »
ok so its either both of the ujolts or the whole spider gear area is just gone... i have to open it up and find out... i need to do axles swap front and rear and get good ratios, but i need to know if i can just take gears from one d30 and put them in another d30 with out micing

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: front axle may or may not be blown.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:39:13 AM »
What were you doing when it happened?  There is a bunch of things that could have happened to it.  Ring and Pinion, Shafts, U Joints...
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
Try to explain the noise. On acell or decell? When turning? Try to be detailed. Its very hard to diag a noise when I can't hear it but do your best. Im going to try & make it to the meeting so Ill listen to it if I show up.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »
just open it up and see if the spider gears are ate up
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:03 AM »
thats what im gonna do andy...

it started a few weeks ago with the sound of a ujoint click... then a few days ago i was driving straight and took a turn over some snow and then heard the clicking constantly.. then last night my mom was driving it and it started to drive real weird as she put it and then it was making all sorts of sound, now when i drove it just to check it out.. i didnt feel binding or anything thing that would indicate a serious break but i will see tomorrow. it shifted in to 4x4 and drove nicely so i can not give a good explaination since i drove it for less than 3 minutes.. i am opening it up tomorrow.. will post pics tomorrow.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
Just take a close look at the u joints first before you remove the diff cover. Look for signs of rust where u joint cap seals are. Also grab the inner shaft side of u joint & turn back & forth to see if there is play in the u joint. If you do end up removing an axel shaft it's a good idea to jack up 1 side of the axel at a time & spray water into the low side of axel tube to clean any mud & debris from tube. You would be supprised on how much dirt gets trapped in there. This is a good idea so when your reinstalling the axel shaft you don't push that dirt into the diff.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »
believe it or not it was my drive shaft, my front drive shaft is a CV? i think correct me if im wrong, at the transfercase it has two ujoints and a joint, anywho that joint literally exploded...

and now here is a picture i have provided for you ( ill put up a video later to illustrate it more)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:15 AM »
U can get just the center ball from napa I think it's like $80.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
yea that center ball should be enclosed... the enclosure exploded off of the drive shaft lol

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:25:24 AM »
well at least it wasnt a carrier bearing or something else in the diff.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »
U can get just the center ball from napa I think it's like $80.
You still need to remove the u joint so you should just rebuild the hole thing. Its only 2 u joints & the center ball asembly with some seals. I did this in my 94XJ. A little time consuming but not that bad.  Also did this in my 79 C10 Chevy many years ago & was the same set up just bigger.

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 03:32:59 AM »
well then i shall do that and have a spare it looks like that balls housing is attached to the drive shaft but guess not, i went to deans and got an axle for 75