Author Topic: need a trick  (Read 1291 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
need a trick
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
Hey guys, I've put the new to me front 44 in and my toe is is terrible. 61 inches in back of front tire 60 in front of tire. I can't get the tie rod to budge even with soaking in PB. That's where I need the tricks. Help

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: need a trick
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »
If your belly pan rotted out than I can understand the amount of rust that has built up on the threads of your drag link & tie rods. Soaking the treads with ATF every night for several days & using a pipe wrench with a 4ft or longer pipe might help but torches are your best friend. Just don't heat them too much because you can make the metal brittle & if you hit a big pot hole in the road at a good speed the ovueheated metal could crack & thats not good. Just a worst case sinario. If you do free the treads up then compleatly unscrew the treads apart,wire wheel all the rust clean from the treads & put Never seize grease on the threads. Then you will NEVER have this problem again. If you can't free them up & you don't have torches then you might have to by new parts. If you work on your own vehical & live in New England then you NEED torches. Rust happens around here.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
if your running stock steering this is a good excuse to throw it out and get something that can take a beating
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
you could just get a front end alignment i take mine to good year in new london right off the highway, they do a super good job but the price is a bit high since its a technically a specialty vehicle

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
So a pipe wrench and a very large pipe did the trick.  I still have a little shimmy around 40-45 mph but I can probably still dial in the toe in bc I was using my son to help with measurments:)  As far as paying someone to do an alighnment, it just doesnt make sence bc the very next time I'm out wheeling and smack into a rock there goes my hard earned money.  This weekend onto the rear!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
if your running stock steering this is a good excuse to throw it out and get something that can take a beating

X2 on what nate said.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
it certainly does cost a bit upfront, but if you have a National Tire and Battery shop near you, or any other franchise in the "Tire Kingdom" conglomerate, they offer one, two, and three year warranties on there alignments. And for the time period of the warranty, you can cahnge and modify you rigs set up at any point, and it DOES NOT void the warranty. I know this for a fact, because i did it my self.  Got an alignment, addedd my new stabilizer, got it realined after that, for the hell of it, then i converted to my crossover steering set up, and had it realigned again, all on the same warranty. Bad news is, the nearest location to your area is in eastern Mass. Probably not worth the drive unless you spend the money on the three year warranty.

FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:11:21 AM »
Goodyear does something similar. I have this warranty on my Subaru. I get it aligned for track days and then for street on a pretty regular basis. It's like $250 for the life of the vehicle. (There are smaller packages as well.) Worth every penny though. Then, as you said, when you hit a rock off road and throw it out, you just bring it down and they fix it for you. "For free". (or at least that's how it seems when you walk out without paying over and over again..)
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
word
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!