Author Topic: mini air compressor advice  (Read 2110 times)

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
mini air compressor advice
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
Looking at 12v air compressors & need some advice.  Would like to keep it under $100 & must be portable.  Have been looking & can't decide on what is good & what is junk.  Just need something to air my tires up after a trail ride.  Can't afford an on board air system but will look into that in a few years. Looking at Central Pneumatic P#66399 for $60 at Harbor Freight.  Same one I used from Captin Rick at Dead Fall & it worked great but got real hot just after airing up 3 tires.  It never quit but have read several treads about this compressor failing after several uses.  Is it commin for all these mini compressors to run hot because seams the heat will kill them fast.  To me $60 bucks is a lot of money for something that might not last a year. Again any advice would be great.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: mini air compressor advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
I read up alot about this and was able to get a Puma Compressor from Buzzards Gulch really cheap (had to wait for a sale:))  From what I read this was the best option for me.  Unfortunetly I havent installed it yet so I cant give you and real world advise but it is on my list.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
if you can run a tank along with compressor it should keep the unit from working so hard, also it will give u more volume to use large air tools like an impact should u need to, or seat beads on tires.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »
Look up the Q industries MV50.
I have seen lots of these on trails. around $50 and they are good up to about 35's.

i own one and aired my 33's up in about 2-3 minutes each.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
small compressors do tend to run hot Ive been looking as well gonna have to check into Q industries though sounds good

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:10:11 AM »
Thanks for all the info so far guys. Its helpfull so keep the ideas comming.I could use all the advice I can get.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »
My air compressor was a viair, and it was around $300, but works great. However it was a portable, and I hardwired it and installed it in conjunction with an old coke C02 bottle, and a well pressure switch, so it would turn off when the tank was about 155-160psi. You dont need a $300 compressor but i def reccomend using an air tank, it gives the compressor a head start as long as you keep it filled after each time you use it. The C02 bottle will give you the options of either running air in it, or getting it filled with Co2 to run power tools or use it for airing up, if you plumb it cleverly you could have the system work to use either or.

http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=2129.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:30:03 PM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
My air compressor was a viair, and it was around $300, but works great. However it was a portable, and I hardwired it and installed it in conjunction with an old coke C02 bottle, and a well pressure switch, so it would turn off when the tank was about 155-160psi. You dont need a $300 compressor but i def reccomend using an air tank, it gives the compressor a head start as long as you keep it filled after each time you use it. The C02 bottle will give you the options of either running air in it, or getting it filled with Co2 to run power tools or use it for airing up, if you plumb it cleverly you could have the system work to use either or.

not the most detailed thread but here http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=2129.15

How big is the C02 bottle you used?

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
I believe its a 20lb, but you really dont need one that big
W.O.J.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
Where can you find a C02 bottle cheep?  Or should I just by a cheep air tank?

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »
You know if you buy a cheap compressor it will let you down and piss you off when you need it the most, then what do you do?, buy another cheap one?
For around twice your budget (160-220) you could buy one of the best, 100% duty Viair 350c or 450c and then down the road add a tank and plumb it to the front and rear if you want.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
You know if you buy a cheap compressor it will let you down and piss you off when you need it the most, then what do you do?, buy another cheap one?
For around twice your budget (160-220) you could buy one of the best, 100% duty Viair 350c or 450c and then down the road add a tank and plumb it to the front and rear if you want.

I agree. You get what you pay for. Justin "Axle" did the Viair kit and added a tank later. It filled his 37's all day long with no problems.

Personally, mine is on my winch and I run a 2.5 gallon air tank in the rear. I can fill up my 35's from 8 to 30 in about 7 - 8 minutes

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:07:03 AM by RnnngTrails »
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
Um a bike pump cost $10 at wal-mart and will always work and a can of brake clean and a lighter will seat just about any bead

that is my current oba system and it never let me down on the first of the year i used it to fill up a 38 after the guy blew a bead it took about 4 beverages but we got it done
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
Um a bike pump cost $10 at wal-mart and will always work and a can of brake clean and a lighter will seat just about any bead

that is my current oba system and it never let me down on the first of the year i used it to fill up a 38 after the guy blew a bead it took about 4 beverages but we got it done

i would expect nothing less from you Adam ;D
W.O.J.