Author Topic: Bill's 1 Ton TJ Build  (Read 42571 times)

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
Re: Bill's 1 Ton TJ Build
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2012, 12:53:05 AM »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:13 AM »
Having a shop custom build a hood isn't something I want to do.  Also, I really don't want a fiberglass hood.  Ya, steel ones bend and dent, but they also don't crack and break.

Anyways, Nate had a suggestion to raise the grill 1".  This will also raise the radiator 1" (needed to clear the pitman arm).  Messing with it today, I think it will give me enough clearance to shut the hood.

The downside of this idea is the tube fenders will probably need to be mounted a little higher too.  The problem with that is since I'm already running highline fenders, I don't have a lot of room left under the hood.  I may have to get creative in moving some stuff.  Otherwise, I think this idea will work so long as the supercharger cooling fluid reservoir still has room to clear the master cylinder around the inner fender area of the driver's side.

Its hard to put to works, so I'll have pictures of it all in a day or two.  Moving the grill is super easy, so if it doesn't work literally 1 bolt and I can put it back to where it was.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
So, I raised the grill today and the hood closed with clearance for the supercharger.  I think it is going to work.  I'm still worried the new fenders will not line up correctly, but we'll see.  Right now it is slightly off at the grill, but I think if I use the bottom bolt in the back to pull it down it just might line up.  Then, all I have to worry about is making the new inner stuff line up correctly.  I'll get into more detail later when I have more time, but here is a quick teaser shot.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:43:50 PM by Bill3753 »

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
lookin good, can't wait to see it on Tuesday! looks like you cleaned up a little too!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:47 AM »
I wish I had the time to clean up out there some already, but I have not.  This weekend I'm planning on putting a hault on further work in the garage until I have it clean, tools sorted, and everything back in its correct spot.  I've been doing a lot of work out there for quite a while now.  Every once in a while I just have to force myself to stop working on it more and clean up some.

In the long run, even though I loose a day or two of work I actually feel like I gain time working on it because I don't have to search for the right tool I need every 5 minutes.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2012, 06:04:41 AM »
Hey everyone.  So, its been almost a month since I updated this thread.  I thought I'd take some pictures to share and see what everyone thinks.

The body armor is just about done now.  A few more holes to drill and one more slider to mock up and then I get to pull everything off for paint.

Anyways, here ya go.  Starting off is the front highline stuff.  To make the supercharger clear the hood, I added an additional 1" of lift on the body mount to the grill only.  This raised the point where the hood closes and makes everything clear.  It worked really well and looks good.  Additionally, this will fix the issue I was having with the pitman arm hitting the bottom of the radiator.  I am very happy with the results of moving the grill and also happy a Nate recommended the idea.

Here are some of the body work for the stretch and the rear highline.

Like I said, still some more work to do to call the mock up phase of the body armor complete, but its close.  I am very happy how it came together.

Once I'm done mocking up the body armor, I plan to move into finishing the assembly of the front axle (shafts, spindles, brakes) and doing an alignment on everything suspension and steering wise.  After that, I'm putting the wheels and tires on this thing.  More then just wanting to see it sitting on tires again, I'll actually need to at that point.  I want to mock up the rear tire carrier and tail gate and I can't do either without rolling it forward in my little garage.

The following measurements are estimates based on the center-line location of the axle and total diameter of the tires.  They will change once the weight of the Jeep is on the tires, ect.

Ground to highest point with the top on: 78 1/2"
Ground to Transfer Case Skid: 22 1/2"
Ground to Fender opening: 50"
Ground to Rocker: 30"
Ground to Front Bumper: 28"
Ground to Rear Bumper: 28"

More updates to follow.  Hopefully with pictures of it sitting on tires and wheels again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:18:29 AM by Bill3753 »

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
great fab work. everything looks super neat. I can tell you spent a lot of time on lining all that stuff up. Good job!

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »
lookin good, that 14 bolt is sexy with the disc brakes!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
holy crap nearly 2ft of ground clearance! i wanna do the hi line fenders front and rear on my CJ. did u buy these or make them? also in the rear did you just cut everything up to the top of the fender well?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »
great fab work. everything looks super neat. I can tell you spent a lot of time on lining all that stuff up. Good job!

lookin good, that 14 bolt is sexy with the disc brakes!

Thanks guys.  I just need to get motivated and off my butt to finish putting the front end together and I'll have some pictures up (finally) of this thing on tires and wheels again.

holy crap nearly 2ft of ground clearance! i wanna do the hi line fenders front and rear on my CJ. did u buy these or make them? also in the rear did you just cut everything up to the top of the fender well?

Highline fenders are defiantly the way to go.  There is a variety of ways you can do it and they wouldn't be very hard to build with a basic tube fender kit similar to what gearhead used on his rig.  The same way he built his tube fenders, you could build the highline fenders and then just cut the hood to fit.  I bought mine already built though, mainly just because I don't have the time anymore to build the stuff.  In the rear, I started with corner guard blanks, cut a basic wheel opening, welded the tube flares on, and then cut it all out as high as I could without getting into the passenger compartment of the tub.  I am very happy with how it came out and would build it the same if I had to do it all over again.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
Highline fenders are defiantly the way to go.  There is a variety of ways you can do it and they wouldn't be very hard to build with a basic tube fender kit similar to what gearhead used on his rig.  The same way he built his tube fenders, you could build the highline fenders and then just cut the hood to fit.  I bought mine already built though, mainly just because I don't have the time anymore to build the stuff.  In the rear, I started with corner guard blanks, cut a basic wheel opening, welded the tube flares on, and then cut it all out as high as I could without getting into the passenger compartment of the tub.  I am very happy with how it came out and would build it the same if I had to do it all over again.

the main reason i went with a bought kit is time cause no on could tell me what would work with a cj clip on a yj tub and frame and yj inner fenders sniper fab mixed up a cj and a yj kits and shiped them out i had to trim a there kit down to make it fit they way i want but a cj set would have bolted on  from what i can tell and i started looking at highlining but it would have looked dumb but i have room for 40's so i m going to lower it 3" and if i decide to run 40's i will highline it using what i got
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:01 AM »
So, these pictures really make me happy. 

These ones are even better.  All of these pictures were taken with the Jeep sitting at ride height.  I am very happy with its new stance.

Thanks goes out to Nate for helping me get the front axle together and the tires on.  Its always nice having an extra hand.  I am very happy with the overall ride height and it should drive out of the garage on the 38's.  That alone is impressive to me.  As you can see by the pictures (for those of you who haven't seen this in person), I have a really small garage.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:33:18 AM by Bill3753 »

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »
Wow, I'm most impressed on how clean the floor is.... just kidding, the jeep looks Sic! can't wait to get you back out on the trails!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »
ok so it's just me but i have to ask. have you kept up with your reciepts? est cost of all this? i ask cause im doing this with my cj7
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
Wow, I'm most impressed on how clean the floor is.... just kidding, the jeep looks Sic! can't wait to get you back out on the trails!

That's just because you can't see the corner I threw everything in, lol.  Thanks though Rock.  I can't wait to get it going.  It'll be a slow process and I work the bugs out and learn to drive it in its new form, but it'll be fun.

ok so it's just me but i have to ask. have you kept up with your reciepts? est cost of all this? i ask cause im doing this with my cj7

I started out keeping a record, but stopped after a while.  I've got a lot in it I know that.  I was able to do a lot of it cheaper then most would think though.  If you are patient, you can find some crazy deals on pirate, ect.  You just have to keep an eye out.  Good used and second hand new never installed parts are easy to come by on there at a fraction of the price.