Author Topic: Trying to get hard doors and top to fit  (Read 1701 times)

Offline BigDsCJ7

• Trail Passenger
Trying to get hard doors and top to fit
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:17 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I am trying to put on a hard top and hard doors from another CJ7. My 86' CJ7 has a fiberglass body and I'm having a hard time getting everything to line up. It has to be the worst fiberglass body Iv'e seen but it was already on the Jeep. Looking for some advice on the best way to takle this. Thanks!
J-ust                                      86'CJ7
E-mpty                                   4" Skyjacket lift w/ 33" Maxxis Big Horns
E-very                                    LT1-Long headers,CAI,Cam & underdrive pully
P-ocket......one part at a time!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Trying to get hard doors and top to fit
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
no advice but welcome to the forum.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:44:16 AM »
Hey Dan, Welcome.

What parts of the hard top or doors are not fitting or lining up?

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:08:51 AM »
Hi Dan welcome to the forum!Look foward to meeting you soon! -Andy
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Hi Dan,
I've had a couple CJ7s in the past and for one of them I was looking at fiberglass bodies. I found that some fiberglass bodies specifically said that hard tops could not be used with them so I wonder if that is what you have. There were also a couple different style of doors on the CJ7s. The ones that came with hard tops had round corners at the top while the soft top CJ7s had more of a point at the top of the doors. You could have a mix going on that is not allowing things to line up correctly.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BigDsCJ7

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:49 AM »
Thanks everyone! So the hard top and doors are from the same CJ so they fit together. When I try to mount the doors they dont line up with the windshield angle and the doors don't close because the door srikers for the fiberglass tub are on the outside of the tub, not flush, so they don't clear the door. I was thinking of welding a braket off the rollbar for the door striker, or more of a pain, a tub swap. I looked and looked but can't find a tub that is worth saving. I also need a rear liftgate for the hard top. I have good glass for it. If anyone has insite or is local to CT and know how to wield let me know. See you on the trail in Feb!

Better news....I should have the LT1 running this weekend!
E-mpty                                   4" Skyjacket lift w/ 33" Maxxis Big Horns
E-very                                    LT1-Long headers,CAI,Cam & underdrive pully

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:16 AM »
Thanks everyone! So the hard top and doors are from the same CJ so they fit together. When I try to mount the doors they dont line up with the windshield angle and the doors don't close because the door srikers for the fiberglass tub are on the outside of the tub, not flush, so they don't clear the door. I was thinking of welding a braket off the rollbar for the door striker, or more of a pain, a tub swap. I looked and looked but can't find a tub that is worth saving. I also need a rear liftgate for the hard top. I have good glass for it. If anyone has insite or is local to CT and know how to wield let me know. See you on the trail in Feb!

Better news....I should have the LT1 running this weekend!

I have a black rear liftgate and the lift struts.  The lift gate has some rust and the one hings needs to be repaired, the area around it rusted and needs a filler plate and a little welding.  The lift gate is from a CJ7 so it should work.  The latch mechanism seems to be in good shape as well as the glass.  The Hard Top I bought to make into a 1/2 cab came with the lift gate but it was already off before I bought it.  I also have the side glass in great shape.  If this sounds like you might be interested shoot me a PM.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BigDsCJ7

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:44:25 AM »
Thanks Kirksjeep, I have one in the same shape. I don't have the resorces to do the work or I would. It seems they are in the same shape. Hahah, Do you know anyone local to CT that could wield? I don't mind paying for the help.

Offline BigDsCJ7

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 03:46:02 AM »
Hey Flex, did I think I met you at one of the Ocean Beach cruse nights. Awesome exo-cage!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:13:41 AM »
yea i was there for a couple of them, good to see ur looking to get more involved with the group.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:34:55 AM »
Thanks Kirksjeep, I have one in the same shape. I don't have the resorces to do the work or I would. It seems they are in the same shape. Hahah, Do you know anyone local to CT that could wield? I don't mind paying for the help.

Pete at CT Axle can weld really well. He did my axle 4 link rear brace and my skid plates.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline BigDsCJ7

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
Great, I'll try to contact him. I would love a 4 link front and rear. Even with "soft ride" springs, it feels like I'm driving a boulder down a mountain! Thanks for the info! Can't wait to meet everyone.