Author Topic: herculining the tub  (Read 1807 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
herculining the tub
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:30:46 AM »
i know nearly everybody has removed their carpet and lined there tub with something, whats the best bang for your buck product?

i have the hard top and full doors and because i have no place to put them i hardly take them off, should i even bother with it? does it make it hotter/louder in the cabin with the carpet gone?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline crawler 5307

• Trail Passenger
Re: herculining the tub
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »
makes it hotter and louder and the liner are very abraisive have herculiner in my truck would not do again but is very strong though good luck rich ???

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:55:54 AM »
thats what i was afraid of because the exhaust runs right under the passenger seat. don't want it to be hotter than normal (hawaiian weather is 80 year around) and with the exhaust being right there i figured it'd be alot louder. not going to be running without a top anytime soon so this might be a project to push off.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
Try POR 15 paint. I no its pricy paint but tough as nails & a little goes a long way. It would be a lot of work tho because you would have to scuff everything the paint tuches so it will stick good. You also need to buy the Marine wash & Metel Ready to do it right. I painted all my skid plates with this stuff. Just brushed it on. It was 40 degrees in my garage when I did it so when it dryed you could still see some light brush strokes but in warmer temps it should smooth out like glass. You can also use a roller or spray it on if you have a spray gun.

Also another idea is Rhino Lining. I think you need a special spray gun for this but Im not really shure. The Rhino Lining is much thicker than the Herulining (almost like rubber) & feel it will inulate better from your hot exhaust. I had a friend do this on my old 94 Cherokee & the jeep was much quieter inside. You can also get it in several colors. I think the POR15 comes in different colors also.

I think you should go with the Rhino Lining but there might be many other options out there so use the internet & you might be supprised whats out there. Do your reserch & maby call the company's that make the paint & let them know what you want to use it for & see what they say.  Hope this helps you & good luck.  Enjoy Hawaii. 8) Wish I was there dammit!!!!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
http://www.lizardskin.com/index.php

this stuff is spray in and is made just for reducing sound and heat so i would say it would work pretty good, only issue would be durability but IMHO i think it would work great.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:52:32 AM »
I have heard very good things about Monstaliner.

http://www.monstaliner.com/

I researched the roll on liners a bunch when I was working on my Bronco project to use in its tub.  Some day I will probably tear my carpet up and when I do, this will be what I use.  It has non-skid type properties, but it is not so rough because there is not ground rubber in it.  Also, people say it is very fade resistant, goes on thicker, and has a nice warrenty.  I have bought the Chassis Saver paint from the same company and they are good people to deal with.  The paint was just like POR-15, but having used both I liked it more.

There is a ton of info on this subject out there.  I'm just sharing what I thought would be best.  Another good product is Al's Liner.  There is a guy on fullsizebronco.com "Ranger429" that sells it at a discounted price.  He also loans out the gun to spray it on for a returnable deposit.

http://www.alsliner.com/
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »
Nate/Bill.
Good info. I new there was lots more options out there.

News on the POR15 is I noticed on the can it says not to use on areas that are exposed to UV light. Not shure what will happen to the paint but probably not a good idea to paint an interior with it that will be exposed to the sun alot with no top or doors on. Guess its ok I used this paint on my skid plates synce they should not see any sun unless I go belly up. Hope that does not happen any time soon or EVER!!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
When POR-15 is exposed to UV rays it discolors and deteriorates.  Its not pretty by any means.  I painted a dash board in an old truck with it and in less then a year you could rub layers on the paint of with your hand like you were using sand paper.  The only way I can describe it is the paint turns to powder and can be easily removed small layers at a time.  It just doesn't bond together anymore. 

It does make about the best undercoat you could ever use if you wanted to make sure there rust will never be an issue.  You just have to do all the right prep work for the POR-15.  Then scuff the POR-15 and either prime over that or paint over it.  Either way, you would have a solid long lasting finish.  I have known people in the Bronco world to POR-15 their tub prior to laying down the bed liner and the results were very good.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:27:32 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
sounds good. thanks for all the help guys. went out today and there was a hole we were having fun with that was over the bottom door of the jeeps with 5"s of lift so i didn't go in with my carpet but have some good pics and vids of it that i'll post in the hawaii thread later.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:25:59 AM »
POR 15 will not adhear to paint or bare metal it works great on rusty metal but not any thing shinny
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:33:01 AM »
thanks alot for all the suggestions. im thinking of going with the monstaliner. finally found a place to store the top and doors and as much fun as it is i must say it's cold at night on the freeway out here  8) :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:17:38 AM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
thanks alot for all the suggestions. im thinking of going with the monstaliner. finally found a place to store the top and doors and as much fun as it is i must say it's cold at night on the freeway out here  8) :P

Post up some pic's when you do it.

I used Herculiner, two coats, and it's just about a year and a half old and it is starting to wear off in high traffic areas like the high spots on the drivers floor, that's where I plant my foot when I'm bouncing up hills, lol
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!