Author Topic: Repair shop for Head Gasket  (Read 1062 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Repair shop for Head Gasket
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
A friend of mine just called me and is looking for a shop that can replace the head gasket on his Land Rover. He noticed the coolant leak and brought it to his mechanic and his mechanic told him it was the head gasket, but he can't do that kind of work so he's looking for a shop around the Groton/ Gales Ferry area that can do the work. Do any of you have any experience with a shop that will do this kind of work? He said he's called several places and they won't touch it. Thanks
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
Re: Repair shop for Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
i know a place but its in griswold. my unckle works there doin tires. its a tire place but they do a lot of work too. its called p&j tire. im pretty sure they can do the work on it but i know its not groton or gales ferry. plus i have a personal mechanic in plainfield. he has done a lot of work on a lot of my rides. he works out of a 2 bay garage and hes got a lift and stuff. and its cheeper than a garage
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
I did my own last year.  Not a tough job if you have the factory manual.  He could then take the head down to SS on 184 to have it magnafluxed (?i think thats the name of the process).  I didnt the first time bc I wanted to save a little cash, big mistake bc what I couldnt see was a crack.  I had to do the process all over again.  Non the less I got fairly good at it.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
I have always had go luck with Bob's Auto on 184. 

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »
I know a lot of shops wont touch Land Rovers becauswe they are a PITA to work on.  A budy of minbe truied to have his brakes done and the only place he could find was the dealership and they wanted almost $1500 for pads and rotors.  I eneded up doing the work, but it was a 10 hr. brake job. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:34 AM »
Good luck finding a shop to work on a land rover

it will take specail tools that is not worth buying  for one job so most shops will not want to get them
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/