Author Topic: Flourescent lighting and radio interference  (Read 878 times)

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
Flourescent lighting and radio interference
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
The title says it all.....I can listen to my radio in my gay-raj or I can see wot I'm doing...but I can't do both. I get wicked static from RFI coming from my lights, only when "on". Anyone else have this issue and fix it?

Been doing a lot of reading on the web and the fixes range from expensive (replace the lights) to a PITA (place alum foil around the ballasts {supposedly the RFI comes from the electronic ballasts, the old magnet type don't do it}) to the easy (a RFI filter that clamps around my radio power cord) and other possible fixes that will take too much of my far too little free time. I'm going to Radio Shack today (my daughter willing  :D ) and see about the power cord filter.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Flourescent lighting and radio interference
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
just do what I did; install an old PC in your shop and blast interenet radio via Itunes
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »
I'm thinking I may have to do just that....the RFI doesn't interfere with the computer?

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Found a place that has RFI filters that may work, Jan Electronics in New London. 2 different kinds of filters, I'll be hitting them up asap

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Just can't seem to find the time to get down that way to get them.... :-[