Author Topic: My Jeep is falling apart  (Read 1542 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
My Jeep is falling apart
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
You guys all know my Jeep is squirrely as all get out and I know I have suspension work that needs to be done. Well, last weekend I realized I'm leaking transfer case fluid. My TC was just about empty since it took 1.5 qts to fill. I haven't found the leak yet, but I was planning on working on it this weekend. Last night on my way home I felt a pop as I went around a corner and it took 3-4 full revolutions of the wheel to get the tires back to straight. I got it home to find that my track bar is broken. The threads pulled right out of the end so it's hanging in 2 pieces under the Jeep. Reminds me of my upper rear control arm from Mohawk. Now I have more work to do over the weekend. I really need to seriously start looking for a new DD.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
Re: My Jeep is falling apart
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
ok so im not trying to hijack the thread but my tcase is leaking as well... do you know how to fix them, it looks like its leaking from the seal where both pieces match up.

as for the jeep im sorry to hear that i know the pain lol

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
If yours is leaking from the seal between the two halves you just have to take the back half off, scrape it down, clean it and reseal it with some RTV. It's not too bad of a job. Mine hasn't been apart in years so I don't think I'll be that lucky. I'm guessing I'm going to find a crack in the housing, but maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be that bad.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
idk if i have the know how to do it and lol but right now im just gonna fill it and see where that gets me i hope i dont have metal chunck in the lube, but hey if i do all i need to do is go to a junk yard and get a tcase that sye's are made for lol

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »
My Jeep is back on the road tonight. I called up Gary and he welded the track bar back together.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 06:04:51 AM »
Good stuff Roger, none the less I'm a little dissapointed in Rubicon Express at this point, that's the second part on your rig from them that has pulled apart due to stripped out threads.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »
That is why you build your own stuff that reminds me i need a plazma cutter
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:49:04 AM »
check craigslist for a plasma cutter there are a few for sale under 900

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:09 PM »
The welding of the track bar has worked great so far and for some reason I now have full left turn that I had been missing for months. I also think I have my T-case leak fixed. I sprayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner and wiped it clean, took it out for a little drive up and down the driveway and found the only wetness to be around the speedo gear housing. I took it out and found that the o-ring was snapped and hanging out in the back corner so I put a new o-ring in it. I'll check it the next couple days, but I may have gotten lucky and had an easy fix.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »
seems like the o-rings have been a problem for alot of people!

2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
seems like the o-rings have been a problem for alot of people!

That's exactly what mine looked like. Once the rain comes through Friday/Saturday I'm thinking about doing some truck shopping this weekend. I have time on my side as long as my Jeep is able to get me back and forth to work, but once the snow starts flying the Miata will be put up for the winter so I have to have a 2nd vehicle available in case the Jeep has any further issues.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
What are thinking about getting i came very close to buy a few year old F-150, but at the end of the day i couldnt justify spending that kinda money on a truck so i got one that old but can pull a freaking house down, and still has some life left in it with lots of charater, i agree its not as dependable as it needs to be but worse case senior i can drive the jeep or ride with my roommate to work.

89 F-350 7.3l diesel 150K I'm thinkin it will get the job done.

2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
flex if that truck dies you can use the axles for a 1 ton build
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
the axles in this truck matchs the axles going into the comanche exactly so i guess u could say i could use them for my second 1 ton build, muah!
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
I haven't decided yet. I know I want extended cab for passengers if need be as well as tossing small stuff behind the seat rather than throwing it in the back end. I've been looking at Autotrader, Craigslist, Cars.com and other places at 2002-2006 F250s and Chevy 2500s. I don't think I really need a 3/4 ton, but I'm leaning that way and really thinking about going diesel also since I plan to start making an annual trip back to Michigan to run the Silver Lake sand dunes with my 4x4 club each June. I just don't know if the diesel is going to fit in my budget yet or not. If I go diesel then Dodge is also in consideration, but I wouldn't own a Dodge with a gas motor.
1994 YJ on 37s