Author Topic: Emissions Testing / OBD Reader  (Read 1475 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Emissions Testing / OBD Reader
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
I have been working on a 1994 Saturn SL2 in preparation of Chase going back to college at the end of next week. I have done brakes, changed the oil, replaced the air filter. According to Chase the spark plugs and everything were changed last year so I didn't mess with them since he doesn't put that many miles on the car. He brought it for its emissions test yesterday and failed miserably. His HC (PPM) count was 328 with a limit of 158 and the CO was 2.66 with a limit of 0.84. He's not throwing any codes, but I'm thinking that the bulb may be burnt out. Does anybody have a scanner and ideas of things I can do to get the car ready for re-inspection?
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
Re: Emissions Testing / OBD Reader
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »
i do have an OBD2 scanner...... mine didnt throw code the front o2 sensor code but it was bad it only read the rear, but if you want i do have a reader

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
or you can go to autozone they have the tester... they do it for free as well

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
I called Chase during lunch to have him run over to Autozone to have the car read. I think with a 94 his Saturn may be an OBDI rather than II. I don't remember the switch year for most vehicles. Hopefully it will give me a place to start.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
before 95 on domestic and before 93 on imports were obd1
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
Ove got a PC based scanner that will read/display real-time sensor data; come on over. Also, if the ECU had any codes stored, they would show up on the report he got.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
Chase went over to Autozone last night and they couldn't read it because it is OBDI and they only have an OBDII scanner. I printed some information off the net this morning on how to use a paperclip to jump two circuits and then count the flashes of the light on the dash. If the light is burnt out it won't do me much good though.

Jeremy, you can read OBDI stuff. If my attempt after work today doesn't work I may be running out to your place.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I used a paper clip across terminals A and B in the Saturn last night to pull codes. The only code that came up was 12 and that is the one that says the PCM checks out and everything is running fine. At this point I think I'm just going to run some fuel injector cleaner through it and put in new plugs and have him bring it back to see how it does.

Question on the CT laws though. His registration is good until May 2012, but his emissions were waived until November since he had the car in Indiana for school. If he's driving it back to Indiana next week and the car will probably never come back to CT should he even worry about the emissions test? I'm thinking he could just off the car out there after school next year. That's what he wants to do anyway.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
Is it registered in ct?
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
Yes, the car is registered in CT and the registration is good until May 2012, but the emissions is due in Nov 2010.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 06:05:49 AM »
If the car is not returning to CT then you will be fine. If you do try to renew the Reg in 2012 you will have to pay a $20 late fee to emmisions before you can renew.

I say don't worry about, and worse case run some seafoam through it, it has worked for me in the past.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
Sea foam is great, used it to free up a sticking valve on my jeep.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 01:29:47 AM »
there is a project in autoparts stores that guarentee passing emissions testing