Author Topic: Need to buy new GPS  (Read 1334 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Need to buy new GPS
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
My GPS was stolen from my Jeep this past weekend so now I'm in the market to buy a new one. I was probably tempting fate by leaving it on the windshield all the time and it finally caught up with me. Has anybody been doing research on GPS units recently? Mine was a TomTom and I liked it, but I want something that already has the US and Canada maps downloaded.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Need to buy new GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
My GPS was stolen from my Jeep this past weekend so now I'm in the market to buy a new one. I was probably tempting fate by leaving it on the windshield all the time and it finally caught up with me. Has anybody been doing research on GPS units recently? Mine was a TomTom and I liked it, but I want something that already has the US and Canada maps downloaded.

i had a garmin 330c loved it now i got the $100 magelin from walmart it is ok i liked my garmin better because the magelin does not like all addresses and streets
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:01 AM »
I love the vid input of my nuvi 5000, but the boot up is too slow.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »
My Garmin C330 has been giving me issues for a bit now and finally last week it stopped receiving the signals while I was in the middle of nowhere.  I got 5 or 6 good years out of it and loved it.  You may consider looking at the Garmin Nuvi 1250.  They are apparently discontinuing it and therefore you would probably be able to pick it up at a lower price.  I recommend looking at Tiger GPS also.  I bought mine at Bass Pro Shoppe because I was on the road. 

http://www.tigergps.com/garminnuvi1250.html

Because I used to travel for my job I got a chance to try out most of the GPS units offered by the different car rental places and found I liked Garmin the best.  They are easy to use and I like the features.  Hope this helps

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »
Ebay and amizon arw great places go get new/refurb units that are discontinued at good prices.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
With the Nuvi this can be your on screen vehicle and it's free

http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/product.html?vName=offRoad

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
I like that, I'll have to add it to my Nuvi.
When I bought my Nuvi last year, I did a price search and Wal-Mart online was the cheapest even with shipping.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:03:37 PM by WillC »

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
I love our Atlas and it fits neatly under our front seat (out of sight) and it always works no batteries our power just a lick of the finger and a flip of the page ;D

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 04:07:24 AM »
I love our Atlas and it fits neatly under our front seat (out of sight) and it always works no batteries our power just a lick of the finger and a flip of the page ;D

LOL!!!!!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!