Author Topic: ordering some rims. need help on size  (Read 1218 times)

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
ordering some rims. need help on size
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:00:46 AM »
im getting ready to order some craiger soft 8's for the jeep and right now i have 32x11.5 15 swamper tsl/sx tires. will go bigger some day and wondering if 15x10's would be to wide to get or if thats a good width. help me out thanks
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: ordering some rims. need help on size
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:51:14 AM »
I think 10'' is too wide doode. I would be more concerned with backspacing, but go with an 8'' wheel. General consensus is that 8" wide wheels with 3.75" - 4" backspacing is about optimal. Gives a little more track width for stability plus clearance for wider tires.  you don't want to rub on your lower control arms. less is more with backspacing, example 4" will make your tires and wheels stick out farther than 5'' bs wheels.  I'm running 33'' x12.5'' on 8'' wheels with 3.75 backspacing, could run 35s on the same wheels if i wanted. do not buy 10" wheels you will pop beads like crazy, especially when aired down. Thin wheels are the poor mans bead lock!  Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:31:01 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
I agree with what Andy said. I used to have 15x10 rims on my CJ with 35x12.5x15 tires and the rims got tore up on the rocks and things. There was no rubber outside the rim to protect it. I only lost the bead once though. With a 15x8 the tire hangs out a little further around the rim and because the tire has more pressure from being squeezed in the wheel it usually does help with losing beads at low tire pressures. Ed runs 15x10 wheels on his TJ and I can't remember his losing a bead, but his wheels are scuffed up pretty good from the rocks.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
i guess on 35s you would be ok with 10'' wheels but I would not run them with 33s. but like roger said ed scuffed up his wheels, go with 8s.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
thanks guys... i ordered the 8" ones last night anyways cuz i figured that was the way to go. i ordered the soft 8 craigers with 4" of bs. she will look sexy after. only getting the rear 2 for now though cause moneys tight and the rears rub the springs a lot so i need to fix that. kinda getto but whatever. just like today i bought 1 fog light. lol better than none. but thanks guy for the input. we need to go wheelin some time. i got some trails in my woods but nothing serious
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:33:17 AM »
yep i've got 10" wide wheels and yes they are pretty beat up (eh but thats what its for). I did lose a bead once but only cause my staun deflators let out more air than it  was set for need to keep them clean and lubed duh!!!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:18:05 AM »
a little late, but i run the 15 x 8 soft eights on 33"x12.5" bft mt's i wouldn't go any wider even with taller tires.