The Mud Pit > Wrenching

Thermostat

<< < (2/7) > >>

Doball:
Hell, why change it? Take it out. So it takes you engine longer to warm up, you'll get more flow which in the summer when you're wheeling at slow speds with little airflow the Tstat pretty much stays open.

reg:

--- Quote from: Doball on December 26, 2007, 10:28:03 PM ---Hell, why change it? Take it out. So it takes you engine longer to warm up, you'll get more flow which in the summer when you're wheeling at slow speds with little airflow the Tstat pretty much stays open.

--- End quote ---

then it will overheat on long trips.  the thermo closing allows the radiator to work.

you could get a bigger/better radiator if it is a problem, otherwise if it needs replacing just replace it.  check your fan clutch too if it is getting warm, I had a fan clutch on an old ford of mine, didn't like it so I took the clutch out and the fan spun all the time, kept the engine cooler and i didn't notice the drop in hp.   

honestly if you have the money an eletric fan is the way to go, I'll be getting one later.

ok, so now you know what i think...

Gastank:
I agree with Doball... it's not that big of deal for you to NOT run a Thermostat. I've ran trucks without them for well over a LONG FRIGGIN TIME with no issues. I put one in the jeep just for good measure and now it's bitting me in the ass. FYI

Axle:
Thanks guys.  I have a 16" 2500 cfm fan on order.  I was thinking about the thermostat because it would be cheaper, but the fan should be all I need.  I do still need to replace the fan clutch, though.  That will be next.  I'm planning on running both fans.  If I can fit the electric between the radiator and the engine fan, then I will, so I'll have two pullers.  Otherwise, I'll have a pusher and a puller, no biggie.  And thanks for the nuke explanation on heat exchange, Rocket!  ;)

albsvx:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX%2D485&N=700+115&autoview=sku

that's the fan that I run (after quite a bit of research on them) and I absolutely love it!

but with that one, there's no way you could run 2 fans (not like I understand why you'd want to)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version