Author Topic: tires n flares  (Read 1357 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
tires n flares
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:48:14 AM »
got the tj flares on the front now and 33x12.5's on mine. need to cut more outta the flares though.

1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
Re: tires n flares
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »
wow... lookin like a real rig now... :P ;D
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
even though i cut the flares. to run those 33's i still need to cut some more... and i think i might have jammed my front tire into my windshield washer tank n cracked it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
Looking good Doug. It does look like you need to trim the rear section of the front fenders/flares some. When you lift on short arms it pulls the front axle toward the rear a little bit and I can see it's not centered in the wheel well. I would just trim that section and add bumpstops.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
looks great man
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »
think i need bumpstops? i just got in my sway bar disconnects and now i don't even think i need them.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »
Once you trim the front fenders in that area right in front of the doors you shouldn't rub at all when flexed. You have plenty of space above your tires so if you hit your flares then you need bumpstops. I wish I would have done that to my XJ rather than grinding my tires into the wheel wells all the time. You don't need uptravel like you need downtravel and allowing one side to come up too far will limit the downtravel of the opposite side.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
very true. just picked up my RE sway bar disconnects. do you have a writeup for the hockey puck bump stops?
1982 CJ7-stock