Author Topic: Ford 8.8 swap into xj  (Read 3615 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Ford 8.8 swap into xj
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
Is the emergency brake cable too tight and pulling from side to side with body roll in the corners to where it partly engages around corners? How long has that axle been sitting before you put it in. Could the outer bearings be dry and when pressured in corners causing a clicking? I'm just thinking out loud.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »
weird, I am hearing a simmilar noise coming from my rear end at low speeds. Its like a popping clicky noise Considering I just did a swap as well, it could be somethiing simmilar. I was thinking maybe it was the new U bolts settling. I'll keep you posted about what I find out.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 12:49:25 AM »
What type of locker did you put in could that be the clicking noise
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:22 AM »
What type of locker did you put in could that be the clicking noise

Nate, I forgot all about you putting an Aussie in the 8.8 (duh). It's supposed to make that noise when going around corners. If you read any articles about autolockers they will tell you that there is an audible clicking as it ratchets around corners. Aussie is actually supposed to be one of the quieter ones. You may notice the noise subside a little as you drive into the break in period, which I think is 500 miles.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:13:20 AM »
ok i did some searching and realized that it is supposed to make a quite clicking sound and i think my terrified mind make it sound louder than it was bc i drove it around town with the window half way up and the music barely on and never heard it , so i guess that means its good to go. and since that was the only problem i had it was time to pull the front axle, so within 2 hrs i had the front axle out and the lower control mounts tacked onto the new axle ready to take and get fully welded on since my welder blows. So hopefully tommorrow i can have the new front axle in and the new front bumper put on and ready to go to mabell as long as that still going to happening.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 04:32:39 AM »
The Aussie will click and clunk for about 300 miles or so and then it breaks in a little and you will forget it is even back there, except when you lay into the gas in a turn, then hold on!!!  I forgot this morning when I took my YJ to work, good thing I have the sway bars connected or I may have rolled it on the street.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
The going from unlocked to locked in the middle of a corner can be scary if you're not paying attention. I have found with my welded rear on my TJ that if I give it too much gas starting from a stop going into a corner that I lift the inside front tire off the ground and go around the corner on 3 wheels. I think it was Flex that noticed it this past Saturday when we wheeled after the cook out. I had to punch it to make a left turn yesterday in New London and I could see by the looks on peoples' faces that I did again yesterday.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Im going to have the 220v welder out 2moro night burning my trailer hitch. I can burn the mounts at the same time if you want.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »
Im going to have the 220v welder out 2moro night burning my trailer hitch. I can burn the mounts at the same time if you want.

thanks for the offer but i got them welded before i saw ur offer.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »
doh! day late