Author Topic: What is the fender law in CT? got stopped  (Read 3630 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
What is the fender law in CT? got stopped
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »
Ok so on my way back from getting my new axle, this state trooper today was stalking me all the way from exit 97 to evit 92 on 395. He was eyeballing the hell out of my rig and purposely trying to intimidate me. It was really pissing me off! I was minding my own damn buisness, and following the speed limit and this guy was just relentless. So I tried to stay behind him. But he basically bullied me into the fast lane and then pulled me over for hanging out in the left lane. What a punk! So then he starts giving me crap about my tires sticking out and saying that he could have pulled me over back at ex. 97. so I asked him point blank, "why are you stalking me like that first of all, and second of all if you could have stopped me back there, why didn't you?," "why did you wait for me to do something to pull me over for." All he said was, "stalking you, NO," giving you a break, YES," and walked away. I'm usually very polite to any officer who stops me, but this dude made me really angry. So someone please tell me, what the hell is the law concerning how far the tires can stick out from the flares?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:42:29 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: What is the fender law in CT? got stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »
By the law the tires can not stick out past the fender/ fliar at all.  I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for tires sticking out, but I have heard of people getting warnings.  It only takes one cop to have a bad day to get a ticket and it would be one of the ones that require a complete vehicle inspection. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:40:15 AM »
This guy was a dick. But in the end he let me go. You know I tried to look up the statutes, and there was nothing in there about fender flares. The only thing I could find is the 30 inch bumper and no more than four inches of lift. There is one vehicle safety section that is repealed. so as Far as I'm concerened there is nothing that states that your tires can't stick out. I have a CT state trooper in my Unit, I will ask her if she can find anything that says otherwise. This really erked me all afternoon, So I slapped my rear flares back on and they cover everything. the fronts stick out about an inch and a half to two inches, but at least this way it wont look so conspicuous.
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:27:49 AM »
All the info I know about this comes from NE Jeep and CT Jeep.  I think there might be some stuff on Jeep Forum too.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:53:57 AM »
If you were driving without any flares on your XJ at all it will stick out like a sore thumb. I think as long as you keep flares of some sort on your XJ you won't have a problem at all. My tires stuck out by about 2" on my XJ, but I always kept the flares on and never had a problem except having a couple Groton officers do a uturn behind me because I didn't have a license plate on the front. As soon as they see the Michigan plate they just peel off and go back to what they were doing.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:35 AM »
Fenders are all back on, I just measured the front ones, and the tires only stick out an inch and a half, so hopefully it will keep their eyes off my rig. I cant afford the damn bushwackers, so this will have to do for now.
W.O.J.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
I hope it's not a route you take often.  I suspect he was looking for a reason to give you a ticket and you called him on it.  Everything is recorded nowdays and no matter how he would try to present it he would have looked bad.  Better make sure everything is working correctly for while though.  Brake lights, headlights, and anything else they could gig you for.  Espeacially if you have to cover that same terrain.  Did he ever tell you what he pulled you over for?

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
yeah he said it was for hanging out in the left lane. Because it was only for passing. But I told him I wasn't sure what he was doing and I wasn't going to pass him. I was too busy trying to avoid him to realize how long I had been in the left lane. I think your right though, he knew I was right that he was purposely intimidating me, so he figured he should let me be.
W.O.J.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:46:39 AM »
yeah like roger said, my tires stick out on these 10.5" wheels & i've had groton police directly behind me on the road & never been stopped. i drove past one this past summer without my doors that was set up off the side of the road like he was setting up a speed trap & as soon as i drove by he pulled out & got right up on my rear & followed me to a red light then i turned left & he went the other way. i thought for sure he was going to get me for not having a side mirror without my doors. on the other hand, i have Washington plates.  8)
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:29:38 AM »
hey, i am late on this and i couldnt find the referance,

but i asked the police station in groton, they said d.o.t. regulation is no more than 3" from fender and must have mud flaps if they are going to stick out at all. not something that is widely addressed in this area. and even then, they werent too sure, not even the registry.